p0llinate
p0llinate, Technician
Experience:  Home security and home automation systems expert
59725966

I have acousticly a very difficult listening room, so i have

hello,
i have acousticly a very difficult listening room , so i have used already for more than 30 years a dbx 10/20 computerized room equalizer/analyzer which works perfectly, but what do i have to do when this old dbx gives it up ? i have a yamaha cx-a5100 surround pre amplifier with ypao, but i do'nt know if that system works in the same way as the dbx does. the user manual does not give an answer to this question. i would like to adjust all my speakers(surround and center too) to the acoustic of the room. can you help me ? kind regards, ***** *****
Category: Home Security Systems
Expert:  p0llinate replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Hello, Frans,

Yes, the yamaha ypao function does work in the same manner as the dbx, in that it automatically adjusts the individual channels via a microphone based calibration process.

A sensitive microphone/sensor is placed at various listening positions in the room, test tones play from each speaker, and the speaker level settings and equalizer settings are then adjusted automatically to suit that space. On yamaha it is called YPAO, on Denon/Marantz is is Audyssey, on Pioneer it is MCACC, etc. This type of calibration procedure is a common feature on most modern mid to high end receivers. If you are not happy with the calibration of the yamaha, I can recommend some other models that may suit you better

Best regards,

Nathan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello nathan,
thank you for your answer,; you may recommend some other models that may suit me better.
kind regards,
frans

Well I would at least try the yamaha first, and listen to the results. If you have some specific results or feedback about what you like or don't, that would help me better tailor an alternate recommendation. Offhand though, this is what I would recommend: http://amzn.to/2cwoCR2

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan