Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

Hi, I have a Denon DRA-f101 receiver which appears to have

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Denon DRA-f101 receiver which appears to have gone into some sort of protect mode during my daughters party last night. when it is powered up, both the green lights on the cd player and receiver light up for about 5 secs, the cd light then goes off and the the receiver light goes to flashing amber. I have opened the case and checked the 2 removable fuses which are fine. I am aware there is some sort of microprocessor reset for most Denons but wondered if anyone knew what it was for this model? Thanks, Dave
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Happy to wait another 48 hours. Dave

Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dave

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Expert:  Rusty replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Do you still need help with your receiver? To be honest, I think the girls may have turned it up past it's potential, but we'll check it out. When you turn it on, does it click once or twice? On the second click, is that when it shuts off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rusty, When you turn the power on at the socket and before turning the power on on the unit, the light burns steady red as I would expect. When I turn the power on the units on the DCD-F101 light turns steady green (indicating power?) and the DRA-F101 light turns flashing green (about 1 a second). After 5 flashes the DRA-F101 clicks once and the power light turns flashing amber (about 2 a second) and the power to the DRA-DCD goes off. Does that help?

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 years ago.
It helps me, but it doesn't help you. Your amp was up too loud and it blew something in your amp circuit. The first click is the unit powering up, the second click is the amp circuit engaging. There is a short somewhere in the amp circuit, which is activating the fault. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you that.

Let's try something first. Disconnect all of the speakers from the back of the unit. Turn it on, and tell me if it comes on or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No it doesn't - I guessed it was something like that - I think it was up close to full volume for several hours!!

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 years ago.
I was hoping it got bumped and a couple of speaker wires were touching, but since you disconnected them, you definitely have an internal fault due to the volume being up too high. Distortion is bad no matter what equipment you're working with.

If it's out of warranty, you can take it to any full service electronics shop to have it looked at. It's most likely a blown capacitor, maybe 2. Those things just aren't built to be turned up all the way. Let me know if I can help you further.