p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Got a TX-26LXD70 plugged into a Humax 9300T PVR using HDMI

Customer Question

Got a TX-26LXD70 plugged into a Humax 9300T PVR using HDMI lead. I want to listen to and record the BBC Proms by taking audio output from my TV and sending it to my Meridian hi-fi. The TV seems to have several outputs labelled AUDIO L+R but none of them seem to be generating any output to my hi-fi. Have also tried connecting optical digital output of Humax into a DAC and thence to an analogue input on my hi-fi.

Is ir possible to get an audo output from my TV, either as a simple line out signal or as a digital audio via an external DAC?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

p0llinate :

a few issues here: the analog outs on the tv (if it has any) won't work when supplied with a digital input, the tv just can't convert digital to analog.

p0llinate :

Your optical out on the dvr should function here though, the issue is most likely to be the signal format. The DAC you are using is going to be a stereo only unit (doesn't support surround). Try going into the setup menu on the humax and look for audio options, you want to lock it onto PCM format (stereo) only, not surround. That should supply a usable signal to your DAC for output to the hifi.

JACUSTOMER-0mqd4bk2- :

Hi, thanks for the speedy reply. Sorry to have been so long - searched through entire list of Humax menu options to try and find audio options. Found no surround sound choice. Only relevant one was a choice of stereo or mono under the heading of audio output. Switching between them did not help. The Panasonic TV did have a surround choice; this changed the quality of the sound but did not help my problem. Any other thoughts?

p0llinate :

Good morning, sorry I missed you earlier (In the US here),

p0llinate :

Are you saying you did see a PCM option on the panasonic? If so, it should allow you to output from the digital port on the tv to the DAC.

p0llinate :

If that still doesn't do it, I could only assume that your DAC unit is faulty or otherwise incompatible with your equipment, which would seem likely since it isn't working with either tv or the dvr. Your best bet then would be to return/exchange it for a different DAC unit.

JACUSTOMER-0mqd4bk2- :

Not quite. There is an option in the sound menu entitled surround.. There are only 2 choices: on or off. It changes the tone of the sound but does not solve my problem. And there does not seem to be a digital port on the TV - there are several pairs of RCA phono sockets on the TV but nothing which looks digital.Pretty confident that there is nothing wrong with my external DAC. It is a very high grade bit of equipment and works fine when hooked up to a CD transport. And it appears to have a good solid lock when input is connected to Humax digital output (RCA Toslink). And the output is fine when hooked up to my hi-fi via a RCA phono lead. It is as if an indefinite period of silence is being processed. The instructions for the Humax are clear and brief: Firstly connect Humax and hi-fi using an RCA cable, then connect the Humax to the audio receiver that functions as a digital audio decoder using a S/PDIF. Audio plays back through the TV without problem but does not play back anything through the external audio system I have set up.

p0llinate :

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear that didn't help. There may not be anything wrong with your dac, but it still may be limited in the formats that it can accept. Can you try running it on a different device (like a bluray player) and see if it works that way? My thought here is that your dac is only able to decode a stereo/PCM signal, and it's having an issue with the dolby/surround format put out by the dvr/tv

JACUSTOMER-0mqd4bk2- :

Sorry to keep you waiting. In process of replacing all the leads involved and need to go to the store for one of them. Will be back in 3 or 3 hours.

p0llinate :

No problem at all, let me know the results when you have a chance. If that doesn't do it, a few other thoughts: have you ever tried updating the firmware on the humax, or on the DAC (if supported)?