Steve G.
Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company.
329447

Hi, when I connect my Ipod to my Sharp GX-M10 by the USB port

Customer Question

Hi, when I connect my Ipod to my Sharp GX-M10 by the USB port in front, it does not work. It says my Ipod don't support the attached accessory. What do I have to do to make it work?
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Steve and I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

The GX-M10 has a dock for iPod and iPhone. Is there a reason that you are not using that method of connection?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I used the ipod in the dock and it said the same thing. I also have an iphone 5 and it's got the new 8 pin connector instead or the usually 32 pin so it won't fit on the dock. The manual of the GX-M10 says you also can connect via USB. The iphone 5 works perfectly via USB but the ipod don't.

Sixxco

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

What is the model and generation of your iPod?

>>>HERE IS A LIST<<<

...just in case you are not sure.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fifth generation 30G ipod

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

According to the instructions >>>HERE<<< the boom box is not compatible with 5th Gen Ipod, only 'Classic' which is 6th gen.

Here is the specific part of teh instructions: http://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/Audio/Manuals/aud_man_GXM10.pdf

This is why your iPod will not work with the boom box.

I am sorry. I know it is not what you wanted to hear.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, thought there was a way of making it work.

Sixxcos

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.

What you can do is this: on the back of the boom box is a 3.5mm input shown here (#8): http://screencast.com/t/fNrKiDzCRa20

Get yourself a 3.5mm patch cord for about a dollar: http://deepsurplus.com/Home-Theater-Audio-Video_2/3-5MM-Mono-Male-to-Male-Cables/10ft-3-5MM-Mono-Male-to-Male-Audio-Patch-Cable

...and plug the iPod in using the headphone jack.

That will work.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Steve