Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Denon avc-a1d. Switch on and display comes on for a few seconds

Customer Question

Denon avc-a1d. Switch on and display comes on for a few seconds normally and you can change modes during that time however very soon the display goes off and the on/standby light flashes
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is Aric and I will be glad to assist you.

How long have you had the Denon for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after new equipment was added, a storm or power outage, etc.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is my fathers unit it may be around 6 years old. He was setting it up after moving stuff around and it went bang?

Unfortunately my father is quite old and his memory is not very good
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. The most common cause of this problem is accidentally shorting the speaker wires when reconnecting the unit. A fray strand either at the back of the receiver, or are the speakers themselves, touching an adjacent wire or the back of the receiver will cause this problem just about everytime. Unfortunately, once you hear a "bang", and the display will not stay lit and the unit will not operate, you're almost always looking at a power supply failure in the worst case, or an output transistor short in the best case. Neither of these are quick fixes and will involve testing inside the unit, and component replacement with average cost being more than what the unit would cost to replace. I'm sorry for the bad news, and if you're looking to go inside the unit with a meter and can solder, then I can assist you further here. If not, then you're looking at between a $200-$250 parts and labor repair bill, and I would suggest replacing in lieu of repairs. If you need further assistance let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Let me know what to check I have a digital multimeter and soldering kit
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
John, I don't have a service manual for this particular unit as I am in the US. If you've done this before then you'll need to measure the DC voltage at the bridge rectifier first to ensure that you've got a steady 12 vdc, and also check the legs of the outputs to make sure that none are shorted to ground. You'd need to be comfortable measuring live voltages and also have experience enough to know what the bridge rectifier is, the secondary outputs of the power supply and the legs of the Mosfets that are coupled to the PCB inside the unit. If you're savvy with this type of repair, let me know and I will attempt to locate the service manual for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Go ahead with the manual I understand if it will take a while
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

I don't have access to a free download of the Service Manual. The only source I could locate has the manual for a $4.00 download price, and is available at the link below:

http://servicerepairmanuals.net/hifi/denon-avc-a1d-av-receiver-amplifier-service-manual/

If you need further assistance let m know and please do not forget to rate my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have downloaded the manual have you an email address for me to send you the link also for you to download it?