Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

problem with hdmi switching onkyo receiver.

Customer Question

I have an Onkyo 515 AV receiver. It connects to a Panasonic HD Plasma TV, approximately two years old. It is connected by HDMI cable from HDMI out on the amp. An optical cable runs from the TV to the optical tv connection on the amp.

Also connected to the amp is a Sony blu ray player, an Xbox and a Wii. The wii is connected to the tv component fixings with an rca audio out into the amp. Blu ray/xbox connected via HDMI.

I have two problems I cant find a work around to.

1) When I turn the TV on the amp switches either to blu ray or TV/CD but displays no picture. I have to press tv on the tv remote to get the picture /sound. When I select blu ray or xbox on the amp the amp doesnt automatically switch to the HDMI connection. I have to go into the tv menu and press av then select HDMI 1 to get the reception. When I turned these devices off the amp does not return to tv, again i have to press tv on the tv remote.

2) Playing the Wii. I can get a picture just fine, simply select component on the tv and its there . But no sound. I have to go into the amps assign settings and switch audio to anything but optical 1, anything works but what the tv is assigned to. When the wii is turned off I have to reset the amp to optical 1 to get sound.

On my old sony amp none of these problems existed - connections are exactly the same.

Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

How long have you owned the Onkyo for, and has the problem been like this since day 1?

Also, are you using a Universal remote of some sort (Logitech Harmony, etc.), or are you using the Panasonic remote for the TV, and Onkyo remote for the Onkyo?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its brand new and only installed this week. I use the panasonic remote and the onkyo remote.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

This is a bizarre problem, and it sounds like the issue is mostly within the receiver itself. Have you tried simply unplugging the receiver from power, the disconnecting the HDMI monitor out between the TV and receiver for several seconds, plugging it back in then plugging the receiver back into power? Oftentimes it can be a small processor glitch that can cause these problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes but no change.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay, unfortunately Adrian that is the only processor reset for this receiver, and the fact that you're having to switch the amp assign manually each time to get the Wii to playback via RCA, and also having to keep switching the TV Input to get a picture, indicates multiple issues.

1) The Onkyo's HDMI out is not automatically sensed by the TV when you turn the TV on.

2) The memory settings in the processor for the "Assign" feature is not being stored.

These are both indicative of a faulty receiver, and not something that can be corrected via any settings or adjustments. I would bring the receiver back to where it was purchased and exchange for another unit.

If you have more concerns then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).