Shahid
Shahid, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been repairing Home Theater Systems as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Sound bar system SC-HTB20, connected to Sony Bravia TV via

Sound bar system SC-HTB20, connected to Sony Bravia TV via optical cable. Sound keeps cutting out and restarting every few minutes. No HDMI (ARC) on TV
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is the unit ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me complete model number of Sony Bravia

Customer:

Sound system is brand new, TV is KDL 37EX402

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, what all is connected to the TV ?

KevinWhiteJA :

I mean apart from the sound system

Customer:

Blu ray player (HDMI4) and Humax HDR digital receiver box (HDMI1)

KevinWhiteJA :

OK and sound keeps cutting out on both Blu ray or Humax ?

Customer:

Yes both

Customer:

Got to go out - back in an hour

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, let me know when you are back

Customer:

Back now

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

Sorry I was not here earlier

Customer:

Are we done?

KevinWhiteJA :

No I was waiting for your reply

KevinWhiteJA :

The optical cable that you are using is also brand new ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Also can you please try to run the optical cable directly from the cable box to sound bad instead of running it from TV to soundbar

Customer:

The optical cable is brand new. You have confused me. There is provision to run optical cable only from TV to subwoofer, and to run speaker wires to sound bar (front speakers). There is no provision to run optical cable to sound bar. The option to run HDMI cable from TV to subwoofer is precluded by lack of HDMI(ARC) port on TV.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, that is one way to get it working another ways is you can try to run the HDMI from the cable box to the TV only. One HDMI cable only.

Remove any HDMI from the TV to the Soundbar or Subwoofer. Keep the optical.

Makes sure that your sound bar's input is set to the optical digital input (using the soundbar remote).

That should fix it for you.

Customer:

OK. Just occurred to me "cable box" could mean digital receiver. Have connected digital receiver box direct to subwoofer. Got sound but on channel selection sound bar system kicked out and there was no sound direct from TV speakers. Now will try your second suggestion and come back.

Customer:

OK, connected up as per your second suggestion (as originally connected) and soundbar input set to Auto mode (direct mode) as per operating instructions. Been going 30mins with no break in sound. Will give it until tomorrow morning and report back - yea or nay!

KevinWhiteJA :

Great, let me know how it goes....Please kindly remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied. If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link.....Thanks

Customer:

Have tried connecting as per your second suggestion and still no joy. Issue with sound breaks continues. Have tried some experiments to gain some pointers to problem. Purely subjectively the problem seems less when there is not much happening on the sound track (eg dialogue). The breaks seem to get longer and more often when there is music. Played a film on Blu-ray - the interference was definitely worse. Similarly playing a musical CD on Blu-ray seemed to provoke more breaks. Furthermore when a sound break occurred it was possible to regain it immediately by switching the sound input on soundbar remote to BD/DVD or AUX and back again - worked every time! I note in the operating instructions that Dolby Virtual and 3D are automatically cancelled if the audio signal's sampling frequency is greater than 48kHx??!! Any help?

Customer:

Additon to above - instructions say cancelling of Dolby and 3D sound occurs in the case of using optical digital cable.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK and the surround sound and internal speakers are turned off in the TV...right ?

Customer:

That's right. Leaving the TV speakers on gives an unacceptable echo sound.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

a moment please ... I will try to find more info about this TV...there is not much here in my database

Customer:

Someone is asking for a rating, which I did not expect until some conclusion had been reached. I sought a solution or, if not, an explanation of what the problem might be. I have received neither. Do you want me to rate the service on what I have received so far?

KevinWhiteJA :

I have not yet asked for a rating...

KevinWhiteJA :

I will help you and try to solve this today

KevinWhiteJA :

can you send me a image of the connections so that I know how it is plugged

Customer:

schematic
Full Size Image
Schematic attached.

Customer:

Have set audio output mode to "2ch mode" on subwoofer. The interruptions are much less frequent, and sound can be restored by selecting another source on remote and reselecting TV, - works every time.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK but interruptions are still there...right ?

Customer:

Yes

KevinWhiteJA :

apart from the Optical digital input what are other options on your sound bar's input ?

Customer:

TV ARC and BD/DVD both HDMI ports, and in use

schematic
Full Size Image
TV (OPT1) and AUX (OPT2)

KevinWhiteJA :

If you select "standard digital out" while playing from receiver and Bluray the problem is still there ?

Customer:

Not too sure what you mean by "standard digital out" but I am assuming it is

Customer:

Not too sure what you mean by "standard digital out" but I am assuming it is "2ch mode". Yes on receiver, but soundbar system will not accept "2ch mode" on Bluray with film playing - it reverts to Dolby virtual and refuses "2ch", and interruptions still there. It may or may not be of help but it is possible to provoke a sound break by changing channel on the digital receiver, not every time but usually.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, I am unable to find info. about this model number...sorry have tried but it seems I am not helping you so I will opt out & will open this to all again and someone will surely help you...

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

Your sound bar is suspected, can you please connect optical cable directly in Bluray or DVD player as a test and check sound and post back how it worked?
I would also try another optical cable for this test.

Make sure optical cable is plugged securely in sound bar and Bluray/DVD player optical ports.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have connected output optical port on Bluray to input optical port (AUX OPT2) on soundbar subwoofer panel - result total loss of sound. Reconnected optical cable to optical input port (TV OPT1) - result sound restored with no breaks even running on Dolby Virtual for 15 mins. I will run it for longer tomorrow morning - you may be on to something here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shahid, it is bedtime here so will recontact you tomorrow

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for delayed reply, I was away from computer.

Do you have another optical cable to try the system on it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To pick up where I left off I have retried the Bluray connected to soundbar system over a longer period. Works perfectly.

Yes I have another cable but first I have anticipated your train of thought. I have reconnected the output optical port on the digital receiver box to the input optical port TV OPT1 on the soundbar system. Been going for 30 mins without break. What connection do you have in mind for the second optical cable?

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Good, it seems optical cable was not plugged fully/ securely in either output or input of any device and that was causing the problem, please note that optical cable is just a carrier and optical output port has specific amount of light signal that must reach to optical input port, if low amount of light goes in input port it would cause distortion or breaks in sound signal process. Please make sure optical cable both ends are clean and shiny, output port on TV or receiver is clean and input port on sound bar is also clean.

How many Optical Inputs are available on this sound bar?
If its one optical input then please connect the devices as you mentioned in a picture during discussion with previous expert and check.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are 2 optical input ports on soundbar system TV OPT1 and AUX OPT2, the second one we have already established loses sound completely when connected to the Bluray. Have gently vacuum cleaned the cable ends and ports (tv and soundbar) and reconnected as per image. Result - problem of sound breaks returned, which seems to indicate a problem with output port on tv. Have we gone as far as we can in search of a conclusion/solution?

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Please clean the optical output port of TV with q-tip/ cotton bud.
If problem still not resolved then we need to use both optical inputs of sound bar, connect one optical in Bluray and other in receiver as sound bar worked fine with direct connection to both units.
In this connection setup, need to switch sound bar input every time according to source being played in TV.

Please post back how it worked.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cleaned optical port as instructed. Problem not resolved, sound breaks occurred, perhaps even worse. Two cable connection to devices and manual switching of source not a problem.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
OK, so optical output from TV isn't working properly.

Did you try two optical cable option to each video device and how it worked?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, optical cable from digital receiver to OPT1 and optical cable from Bluray to OPT2. Works fine with no sound breaks. As you said manual selection required but not a problem. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX and a solution - job done.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Excellent, Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,

Shahid.
Shahid, Customer Service
Experience: I have been repairing Home Theater Systems as a qualified Sony tech