Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

How do you play music on a home theatre system through the

How do you play music on a home theatre system through the ipod dock from an iphone 5(i have an adaptor)
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. What is the model number of the receiver? Not many receivers are compatible with the iPhone 5. Furthermore, the adapters don't work for docks, only power, and sometimes audio.

I'll be happy to look into your receiver if you give me the model number.

Generally for the iPhone 5, you will need to plug into the CD or Aux input on the back of the receiver. Click here for the cable. They aren't specialty cables, and they are compatible with everything. You can get them online, or at any electronics store.

I await your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its a panasonic SA-BT230 blu-ray home theatre system Rusty
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Just as I suspected. Here are the compatible iPods:

iPhone 3GS 16 GB, 32 GB
iPhone 3G 8 GB, 16 GB
iPod nano 5th generation (video camera) 8 GB, 16 GB
iPod touch 2nd generation 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB
iPod classic 120 GB, 160 GB (2009)
iPod nano 4th generation (video) 8 GB, 16 GB
iPod classic 160 GB (2007)
iPod touch 1st generation 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB
iPod nano 3rd generation (video) 4 GB, 8 GB
iPod classic 80 GB
iPod nano 2nd generation (aluminum) 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB
iPod 5th generation (video) 60 GB, 80 GB
iPod 5th generation (video) 30 GB
iPod nano 1st generation 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB
iPod 4th generation (color display) 40 GB, 60 GB
iPod 4th generation (color display) 20 GB, 30 GB
iPod 4th generation 40 GB
iPod 4th generation 20 GB
iPod mini 4 GB, 6 GB

You can see here that it's only compatible with iPhone 3. The adapters are not worth anything either. It was all over the news when the iPhone 5 came out, that they wouldn't make adapters, they wanted you to buy all new docks and accessories for the iPhone 5. Not even the USB chargers are interchangeable. I don't agree with that way of doing business, it just confuses people.

However, you have the aux input on the back of the Blu-ray that you can easily connect with the cable I showed you, or if you want a dock, you can buy a dock for iPhone 5 that has the red/white audio outs, and that will plug into aux.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I only really want to play mp3 on the theatre system. Ones i have downloaded onto my iphone 5. I have a red and white AUX connection at the back is that the one you mean ?

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Press the input button on your remote repeatedly until you see Aux, and you will be able to listen to your music through the system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Rusty i really was having trouble with this now i know why. I think i'll get a cable locally. You have saved me a lot of time. :)
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Well you are very welcome! The cables are available at any electronics store. They are very common, and they are a great solution. Let me know if you need more help.