Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Can you tell me how to set up my samsung 46" smart with a Humax

Can you tell me how to set up my samsung 46" smart with a Humax STB and a TALKTALK STB(Broadband) and Samsung BD 5.1 Blu-ray Home entertainment sys.
There ARE THESE INPUTS:
HDMI STD1
HDMI 2(ARC)
HDMI IN
HDMI 4 (DVI)
The LAN/DSL IS PLUGED INTO THE TALKTALK(BROADBAND)STB.
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

What is the model number off of the back of the TV?

What is the model number of the BD system?

What is the model number of the Humax Box, and also the TalkTalk box?

Please postback with details and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Aric

TV is …SAMSUNG 46"SMART 3D LED FREEVIEW HD UE46F6800

BD SYS is... SAMSUNG HT-6500 5.1 SMART BLU-RAY HOME CINEMA

HUMAX is…FOXSAT-HDR

TALKTALK BOX is…YOUVIEW HUAWEI DN370T

CHEERS

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

The best way to connect all of this is as follows:

Foxsat DVR to HDMI 1 on the TV.

Talk Talk Box to HDMI 3 (what you called "HDMI IN").

HDMI Out from the Blu Ray player (there is only one labeled OUT- the other two are Inputs and will not be used), to HDMI 2 (ARC).

Then connect an Optical Cable from the TV's "Digital Audio Out" jack to the "Optical In" on the BD system. This is the cable that will send the audio from the TV to be played back on the Surround. The Surround does not specify that it uses the ARC function, so Optical will be needed.

Then go into the Samsung TV MENU and under Audio, select Speakers, then select ANY of the options that does not include "TV Speakers". This sends the audio signal out of the Optical Port.

From there, all switching between Inputs will be done through the TV. So you 'd use the TV remote's SOURCE button to select HDMI 1, 2, 3 respectively.

On the Home Theater system, when listening to any source BESIDES the built in Blu Ray player, you would use the "Function" button to select "D-IN" to activate the audio Input.

This is the correct method to connect all of this equipment together. If you run into any problems, or need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do no forget to rate my service accordingly.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I was just following up to see if you had received all of the information you needed? If you need further assistance, please feel free to reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI ARIC,

DID ALL THAT AND IT WAS FINE UNTIL I SELECTED SAMSUNG BLU-RAY(BD) AND SCREEN TELLS ME TO CONNECT OPTICAL WHICH IS CONNECTED ANYWAY?

WHEN I GO TO SET-UP AND OPT FOR POWER FROM TV BOOT IT FAILS TO DO THIS,OR AT LEAST WHEN I GO THROUGH PROCEDURE IT STILL GIVES ME THE OPTION AGAIN AND DOESN'T SEEM TO RESPOND, TO THAT POTION REQUEST!

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
What screen tells you to connect Optical- the TV screen?

Also, I don't know what you mean by "OPT FOR POWER FROM TV BOOT".

Have you simply tried another optical cable, and do you have the BD system set to the D-IN setting as well as speakers shut off in the TV's MENU?

Again that connection is only for listening to other sources (Not the actual BD player's disc player) through the surround speakers.

When selecting and playing a Blu Ray disc, the unit's connected speakers are automatically playing, no?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes.

Thanks for all the imfo Aric I'm slightly less confused now and what you advised seems to be fine.I think having two STBs + the BD all running together plus the TV is overloading my poor old brain(76).

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Richard, that's great. Once you understand the HDMI Input and output scenario it makes things much easier. If you're satisfied with my service, could you please take a moment to rate me so that I am credited?