p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a Denon RCD-M37. I have not used it for a while.

I have a Denon RCD-M37. I have not used it for a while. It sits under the TV. No problem with temperature. I cannot change the DAB station. It is on Absolute and although it recognises the 30 stations it will not connect to any. I have reset the box to default settings. The change function works with the FM stations. Any idea?
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.
HI there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

There are 2 likely issues here, either a memory/processor glitch or a hardware fault (bad dab tuner or control board).

If you have not already, please do a microprocessor reset:
Unplug power at the mains
Press and hold the |<< and MENU/SET buttons on the front panel
keep holding while plugging power back in, then press the clock button
12:00 will flash on the display, indicating reset was complete.

Then try tuning in the DAB stations again. If that still doesn't work, there is an internal hardware defect, which would require repairs to correct. Because of the age of the system, it would most likely be more economical to replace than to repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nathan

Thank you for your reply. I did reset the microprocessor (this is what I meant when I said that I had reset to default settings) as you describe.

When I then tried to tune in the DAB stations again after doing this it did something I did not recognise from a prior tune in and ended after about 10-20 seconds saying 30 stations. It did not seem to be a new search and find tune. I cannot remember the exact wording on the screen (I am away from home at the moment so I cannot redo this) At a guess it was searching on the existing system and not the airwaves if that makes sense. After this it showed the Absolute station and if asked to move on went to search but never found anything. It seemed to be stuck. Coming out of that left me with Absolute again.

Is this something that you would recognise?

Gregor

Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.
Hi Gregor,

No I have not experienced this issue before. Can you take it off of absolute mode and see if that changes anything?

It wouldn't hurt to try the micro reset again, it can sometimes take several tries to fully clear the memory. Leaving power unplugged overnight can help as well.

Have you tried a different antenna, or reorienting the antenna? I'm wondering if perhaps there is some obstruction or interference that wasn't there before, preventing it from getting a proper signal
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nathan

I have tried to reset the machine. I left the power unplugged overnight and this made no difference.

There does not appear to be anything different in the area. I have another dab radio in the bedroom and it is ok. The only change has been the arrival of a BT vision box.

I have since discovered that the ipod connection is not working either. It is set up and the display is ok in browse mode but there is no sound. All connections ok.

Any final comment?

Gregor

Any final

Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.
Hi Gregor, thanks for the update, and the bit about the ipod connection which is an important distinction. That would unfortunately tend to confirm an internal hardware defect (likely a bad IC or eprom on the main board).

That is something that would require repairs which just wouldn't be practical. It would cost less to replace the system entirely, as these mini systems are not really meant to be serviced. I'm sorry there does not appear to be a better answer here, it can only be an internal failure at this point.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. It is disappointing that for all practical purposes these systems are throw away.

Gregor