Shahid
Shahid, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been repairing Home Theater Systems as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Technics SL DV290 - system continually showing DVD and wont

Technics SL DV290 - system continually showing DVD and won't play CDs - showing No DISC
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- How old is the unit and does it play DVD disc as if it doesn't play CD?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shahid - it is over 10yrs old and has never been connected to play DVDs. When input selection is pressed the CD option is no longer showing. When CD is inserted and play is pushed it immediately shows DVD and then NO DISC.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
I guess I wasn't clear in my previous info-request.
I understand it is not playing a CD disc due to some problem.

- Have you tried to playback a DVD disc in this player to see if it plays or gives same No Disc error message?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It gives the NO DISC msg as well.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Dennis for the info.
Same unit plays DVD or CD when you select DVD source in this sound system and player can detect either it is CD or DVD disc.
Now when it gives No-Disc error message that indicates either optical lens is dusty or laser block is defective (lots of reasons of laser block internal failure).

- Have you tried to put lens cleaning disc in player that might help to clean the laser lens?
- If it doesn't help, would you like to clean the lens manually and it requires taking apart the disc player unit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Phew - at first it wouldn't play the cleaning disc - but eventually it did and we are now getting music from the elusive CDs.

Thankyou so much for your help.

Kind regards,

Dennis.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Excellent Dennis, glad to know that problem is resolved and player is back in business after cleaning the optical laser lens.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.