LOAJ3256
LOAJ3256, Technician
Experience:  35 years in Home Theater and Systems Integrator, Senior
444199

Goodmans system 4200 sound system. Power up and goes to standby,

Customer Question

Goodmans system 4200 sound system. Power up and goes to standby, nothing works except the standby LED
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.
Are you planning to attempt repair of the unit yourself?
I am sorry but it sounds like the power supply has failed, I can talk you through things to look for and check but you will need a multimeter and be able to test voltage etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the response. Yes I was intending to fix it myself, I'm not unfamiliar with electronics but not audio equipment. I have a multimeter and have checked the two glass fuses and both check out ok. If the power supply has failed will you still get the standby led on?

I've also noticed that when you power it on the 3xCD turntable rotates but doesn't align properly with the drive head which rises up and jams against the side of the "U" shaped cut-out in the turntable, whereas it should rise up through the cut-out to lift the CD.

Cheers

John

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,
You can still have a standby light etc, Many power supples have different voltage rails, the standby voltage is normally 5v and when you turn the unit on the other voltage rails come up +12V sometimes 24V and maybe a 3.3v.
Are there any markings or board numbers on the PSU and could you send me a photograph of the board, I cannot find any service information so I have no idea what PSU the system uses.