p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Panasonic Home Theatre System. Model No. SC-PT470. Purchased

Panasonic Home Theatre System. Model No. SC-PT470. Purchased Dec 2009. Had very little use, but now , it will power up and that's all, no response from remote controller, does not transmit to TV screen. Can change the selection from Radio to DVD/CD, but again that's all,nothing responds. The DVD/Cd tray will not open.
Its as though the whole unit is dead of its operation, except as I say from switching on and off. Sad really because I am a Panasonic fan and all my equipment is Panasonic.
Any ideas please would be most welcome.
Mike.
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, Mike, the symptoms you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, typically a faulty power supply or main board (the 2 most common failure points). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). Panasonic products do tend to be quite reliable usually, but they are no more immune to surge damage than any other device.

Nathan :

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the system at the mains

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the receiver, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Nathan :

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; which frankly would not be practical. That is the downfall of these all in one systems, as parts are not readily available, and when one component goes the whole system is useless. Repairs would cost more than the system is worth, and more than you would spend to replace it.

Nathan :

If it comes to that, I can help with trying to find a local repair shop if you wish, or recommending replacement options.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nathan, sorry it didn't work this time. But thanks for your input,

Mike.

Expert:  p0llinate replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the update Mike, and sorry to hear that didn't work out.

Would you like some replacement suggestions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No thank you, I will scrap the module and seek a black replacement by whatever means. I have another but its a silver one, but it does work okay.