p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a sanyo radio/cassette/cd player model no. MAJ-UO2 but

Customer Question

I have a sanyo radio/cassette/cd player model no. MAJ-UO2 but the power plug has broken - the model no. given on plug is AD48-0047. Have tried various shops without success - have now been on internet - there are correct images of the radio and have looked on amazon but model nos do not match correctly so not sure what to buy - can you advise what the best version is and where I can obtain one. With many thanks.
Pat Aston
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

Pat, I'm not quite understanding what you need.

Nathan :

Are you looking simply for a new power cord? (one end connects to the mains, the other plugs into the radio)

Nathan :

Or are you saying that the actual receptacle on the radio itself has broken off inside?

Nathan :

If possible, could you send me a close up photo of both? You can attach an image here with the little paperclip tool/icon, or you can put it on any sharing site (imgur, etc) and send me a link

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

Yes Im wanting a new power cord, one end connects to mains the other plugs into radio - the plug I have has broken.

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

Ive googled the images for the sanyo maj-U02 & there is a photo of adapter but on clicking this, I understand it has been discontinued so Im looking for a replacement that will actually fit. As said previously the model no on plug itself is given as AD48-0047

Nathan :

Thanks for the info,

Nathan :

can you send me a link to the photo you were looking at that appears to match?

Nathan :

I can then find you a suitable replacement.

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

www.chsinteractive.co.uk/e.e

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electricalcomponents (Charles hyde & son ltd) I have already sent the enquiry form.

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

On the amazon site you can still see a picture of sanyo maj u02

Nathan :

Nathan :

I can't see anything on that site though,

Nathan :

I can see a picture on amazon of the actual stereo,

Nathan :

but not the cord

Nathan :

it would be a standard 2 conductor power cord, with the figure 8 plug on the end, the only variable is if it is a polarized or non polarized plug.

Nathan :

I can't see the connector on the stereo itself to identify it,

Nathan :

if you could send me a photo, I would be able to tell you with certainty which you need

Nathan :

The plug should look like either this:

Full Size Image

Nathan :

Or the same thing, but with one of the 2 prongs being flat, rather than rounded on both

Nathan :

is this what you have?

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

No this isn't right, sorry I cannot send link or photo, my granddaughter usually does these sort of things for me but she isn't here at present. The only thing I can suggest is that you do as I did, in that I simply googled sanyo maj u02, clicked on images, looked along, not very far, until I came across the plug, clicked on pic, clicked on view page when it diverted to the chs site. Its rather a large 3 pin plug and the other end is just one single small pin with yellow circle at end, as in picture if you find it. Sorry Im not very good at describing, and I don't really know what Im talking about!

Nathan :

When you say the large 3 pin, you mean the mains socket, as in the picture I sent, correct?

Nathan :

And that the part for the radio is the small single pin?

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

yes

Nathan :

So it is a single round connector,

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

yes. but the mains plug is much bigger than normal.

Nathan :

So the end for the radio looks similar to this

Nathan :

the reason the mains plug is large is because this isn't an AC power cord, but rather an AC to DC adapter.

Nathan :

That large mains plug contains a transformer that steps down the voltage and converts it to DC,

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

ok

Nathan :

can you please look carefully at the mains plug end of it, the "brick",

Nathan :

and let me know what markings you see on it?

Nathan :

It should say something like 5vdc .8a

Nathan :

or 12vdc 2a, etc

Nathan :

I'm looking for the vdc or dc and a information

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

it says:

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

INPUT: 230v - 50Hz:200mA

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

output: 12V-1.5A

Nathan :

Perfect, that is what I needed

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

oh, that's good, thank you

Nathan :

So, the original sanyo part is long gone, as you can imagine, since this is a pretty old model,

Nathan :

but that is okay, there are plenty of "generic" or "universal" adapters that will do the job just as well

Nathan :

You can order this adapter (from amazon), for under £10. It comes with multiple "tips", one of which will fit the radio,

Nathan :

just set the little slider switch on the "brick" end to 12v, and plug into the mains

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

Oh ok, I had in fact looked at these on amazon but on reading the info was not sure that they were right.

Nathan :

What matters is matching up the voltage and amperage requirements

Nathan :

1500ma = 1.5a, which is what your old supply was, and this can accomodate 12volts, which is what your old one was

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

Thank you very much for your help. I know the radio is old but I like it and didn't want to lose the use of it just because of a broken plug

Nathan :

I completely understand. I hope the new plug will resolve the issue for you (it is possible the plug is ok though, and that the fault is inside the main unit)

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

I think it is the plug because it fell down and came to pieces, however we will wait and see, I have just ordered from amazon, not the one you sent link for because postage was high but a similar one where postage was free and I do thank you for your help, as you can tell Im not used to all of this.

Nathan :

You are welcome, and good luck to you.

JACUSTOMER-ux44kpej- :

Im going to close this chat now, sorry it seems to have taken a long time for a fairly minor matter, I have made a note of your direct web address. Thanks again. Goodnight.

Nathan :

You're welcome.

p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands