p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

My Samsung HWC450 crystal surround sound speaker bar powers

Customer Question

My Samsung HWC450 crystal surround sound speaker bar powers up via the normal boot up regime but then immediately shows (I think) a fault code on the screen: PROT for approx 2-3 seconds before then powering down. Is there a way of resolving this?
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

That is a fault code, PROT = Protection mode

Nathan :

This means there is some type of of internal hardware damage or a short. You can try disconnecting all sources, in case the short is being introduced by a bad connection or external device

Nathan :

then with nothing connected to it except power, we can perform a reset process:

1) Unplug the power cord from the unit at the mains

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

Nathan :

That is something that would require repairs to correct. While it is possible to fix, parts for these systems aren't readily available, they are essentially built to be disposable. Any repairs would have to be at the component level, which would get costly for labor. It is generally more economical to replace these systems than to repair them, especially for a 4 year old model. Depending on how you'd like to proceed though, if needed, I can help with findign a repair shop or recommending replacement options.