p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have had a Panasonic SC-BT230EB-K Blue Ray Home Cinema System

I have had a Panasonic SC-BT230EB-K Blue Ray Home Cinema System for several years.
Only just recently there has been a short loud intermitent thumping type sound coming from the bass woofer speaker. This happens maybe 2,3 or 4 times in a night. What is wrong ?
Would very much appreciate some advice.
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am happy to wait for an answer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am happy to wait

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still no reply yet. Is there a problem ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have waited for more than 2 days and still have not received a reply of any sort.
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. You likely haven't received an answer because this is a somewhat unusual situation and chances are high that it cannot be resolved, due to a hardware problem.

There are a few possible issues here, but placement and cleaning won't help unfortunately.

This is either a hardware failure in the sub itself (shorted amp, bad power supply, bad crossover circuit, etc) or there is interference from an outside source. Given the frequency, I would expect this to be a motor/heater/compressor type load starting up and causing a blip in the power that interferes with the amp.

About the only thing you can try here is updating the firmware on the player to be sure it isn't sending an errant signal, and plugging it in to a good quality powerline filter (isobar type).

p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nathan

As you will probably appreciate,I know nothing about electronics.

I could spend £30 on this regulator thing and it may not solve the problem. What do you think ? I could wait until Saturday until I'm able to talk to my brother who is an electrician.Can I come back to you, if necessary in a few days if I have any more questions ?

Mick

Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
You're right Mick, it may do nothing at all.
If nothing else though, I'd consider it a diagnostic evaluation. If it doesn't make any difference, it would isolate this to being a hardware problem with the panasonic system. That is something that would require repairs which aren't going to be practical for a 4 year old system. You'd spend more to fix it than to replace with a whole new unit.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to your brother though, he can go through and check the breakers, make sure a motor doesn't need a new startup capacitor, etc that could be contributing to this. If there was an electrical issue, the conditioner I mentioned should improve or eliminate it though.