p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Hi, i have a panasonic DVD home theater surround sound system

Hi, i have a panasonic DVD home theater surround sound system model PT860. It turns on and says hello but does not play anything and will not open and close the dvd slot. I am hoping its only a faulty part that is can still be purchased?
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Do you hear the disc trying to "spin up" when you press play?

Any signs of movement, grinding noises, etc when you press eject?

Customer:

Hi Nathan, there are no noises at all. Just the machine powering up and off. Nothing plays through the USB or any other connection either.

Nathan :

Thank you for the information. Does it ever give any type of error message or a code starting with an F or P?

Nathan :

If it won't work through usb either, then there is something going on internally, most likely a failed control board, which isn't really surprising to see in an older system like this (2007 model)

Nathan :

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord at the mains

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

Nathan :

At that point, you're better off replacing it than trying to have it repaired. Because there are no longer parts available for the system, labor costs would be exceedingly high, more than you'd spend on a new system ($300-400 on average). Should it come to that, I can recommend options for you.

Customer:

I did the reset yesterday and when i turned it on everything worked fine but it has an error message flashing W1, i think that means the wireless receiver though. After turning it off last night it is up to its old tricks again and wont play or eject. Its strange how it worked straight away with no dramas then did not again.

Nathan :

That is odd, can you try removing the wireless transmitter, and reboot it once more?

Customer:

Just tried again with the wireless receiver out and it didnt work again

Nathan :

Thanks for checking, and sorry to hear that. This is definitely looking like an internal fault then, I'm sorry to say.

Nathan :

Would you like some help finding a new system?

Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Hi Andrew, I see you’ve viewed my initial correspondence. If I’ve answered your question, please take a moment to rate my service, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. You are also welcome to reply back to me at no extra cost if I can be of any further assistance.

Nathan