Shahid
Shahid, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been repairing Home Theater Systems as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Samsung UE46C8000XK and have attempted to connect

I have a Samsung UE46C8000XK and have attempted to connect a Yamaha soundbar using an optical out lead yet cannot get the soundbar to work.
My soundbar does not have a hdmi port
Can you please help as I have misplaced the instructions manual
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number off of Yamaha sound bar?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi the yahama model is YAS-101
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Shahid
My Yamaha soundbar is a YAS - 101
I hope that helps
Adele
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info, I'm working on your question and get back to you in 30 minutes.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for waiting.

Did you select External Speaker in Speaker Select option in Sound/Audio menu of TV to enable Digital Audio (optical) Port so the sound bar can get signal?

Then select TV as input source in sound bar and check sound?

Please reply back with the result.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have both those things as you instructed & still no sound from the soundbar , it worked perfectly with my LG tv but not the Samsung
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please make sure the optical cable is plugged securely in TV and sound bar as lose cable doesn't work to send audio signal.
Also, try to connect analog audio cable between TV and sound bar as a test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did all these suggestions prior to contacting you however have double checked everything as you requested.
I only have one optical cable however have switched it into the digital out port & still have no signal.
The ports on the back of the tv are round holes & the optical cable a different shape so it requires the use of an adapter
Would this make any difference or is it a case that there are compatibility issues with both the tv and the soundbar?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Please try to plug the optical cable in BD/DVD input port on sound bar and check?
What video devices/ sources are connected to TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried swapping bd / dvd & still no sound.
I have the following plugged in ;
Sky TV ( satellite tv ) - 2 ( ARC)
Samsung blu Ray / 3d DVDs player - 1
Apple TV - 3
Are these the correct hdmi inputs or should I swop them around ?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
If you get sound all of these video sources through TV speakers then all connections are OK and working fine,no need to swap them around.
Have you tried to change audio format option to select different format in sound settings in TV menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will leave them as they are as have no sound problems when using TV speaker.
I have gone to sound settings and scrolled down to audio format however it will not allow me to alter
I cannot alter audio language, audio format or audio description
However a sub menu SPDIF output can be changed to PCM or Dolby Digital ?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, while having External Speaker setting in TV sound menu, check PCM and Dolby Digital of SPDIF output in sub menu to see if it helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still no sound at all !!!
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
This is odd, can you try again the sound bar with same optical cable in your LG TV to see if it works with same optical cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately I sold my lg TV and bought this Samsung from a friend, it worked perfectly with their Samsung home theatre system.
Is it possible do you think that they simply aren't compatible like speakers that don't work with Apple products for example ??
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Adele,
It seems TV isn't sending audio output signal to sound bar for some reason thus it doesn't produce sound. I would suggest to check and enable Anynet+ feature in TV to see if it helps.
This TV has ARC (audio return channel) feature and a sound system that have ARC feature will work if this sound bar doesn't give sound output.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Shahid
Thanks for your assistance, it may be something as simple as the connector used on the optical cable
Fingers crossed !!
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
If you are asking about ARC feature then yes, it is very simple and same HDMI cable works for input and output of sound signal.
Please reply back if I missed some thing here.
Shahid, Customer Service
Experience: I have been repairing Home Theater Systems as a qualified Sony tech