Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Cmt-eh45dab Hi Fi component system .Everything works on display

Cmt-eh45dab Hi Fi component system .Everything works on display panel and timing and sleep is ok. But no sound at all. Speaker wires are fine and no short cicuiting, Is there a mute button on the remote or else where
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
Can you please tell me how long you've owned the Sony system for and when did the problem occur?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Switched off and disconnected .moved to nerw location. 2years ago

reinstalled and it worked fine.switched off and tidied onto ashelf. switch on but no sound.retried fverything and display panel indicates nothing wrong butagain no sound.I' totalled baffled

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
Even though I understand that you've checked the speaker wires- this is by far the most common cause of this problem.
So, please follow the steps below:
Disconnect the Sony from power, then disconnect the speaker wires from the back of the unit. Press and hold the power button on the front of the Sony itself for 10 seconds and release. Then carefully cut, re-strip, and connect the speaker wires to the shelf system- making sure NO bare strands are touching at either the shelf system- OR at the speakers themselves.
Then plug the system back in and press power once.
Let me know if you have the same problem, please try multiple sources (FM, CD, etc.), and if there's no sound, please tell me exactly what the display on the front of the system reads.
If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied, please click a POSITIVE RATING, as I am an independent Tech- not a Site Employee, and the rating is the ONLY WAY I am credited.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried every thing as you sugested butstill no sound Allfunctions indicate on panel Audio in shows but nothing is plugged in or attatch to any other source of sound

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Can you select the CD source and read me EVERYTHING that is on the display panel please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

switched function to CD and panel showed reading followed by22 theh 74.52 ithen pressed playon unit and stsarted at 0. andthen it sequenced up2.48 then panel showed 0.00 and began to sequence again.

indicating to me unit was playing the disc silently

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm assuming you raised the volume up loudly, and there was not even a hiss or hum coming from the speakers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Had volume up to max bot not a whisper of sound

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry but this indicates a hardware failure in the Sony that requires service,
More specifically the amplifier output stage has failed, and the mainboard would need to be replaced. Since this part is only available through Sony directly, an authorized shop would have to perform the repair. The average cost for this type of service in not typically cost effective- since you're looking at around $200 parts and labor, and the system can be replaced for that cost.
I'm sorry for the bad news on this one and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied, please click a POSITIVE RATING, as I am an independent Tech- not a Site Employee, and the rating is the ONLY WAY I am credited.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received all of the information you needed? If so, can you please click a POSITIVE RATING so that I am credited? Alternatively, if not, then simply reply back and we can proceed.