p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have an SL-PS70 CD player (if fact I have Two) both have

Customer Question

I have an SL-PS70 CD player (if fact I have Two) both have developed the same fault. they will not read from the disc after loading and the display comes up with "No Disc". The first one I bought with the whole matching system back in 1990, that failed some time ago and then I had the chance the purchase a working OK replacement and this has now failed in the same way. Help! I love the set up and want to keep it original but worry that if I put a unit in for repair it would end up with substandard parts fitted
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

This type of problem is often caused by a worn or contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Nathan :

While it is possible to fix, you are correct that you may end up with different components, as original technics parts for this unit won't be available any longer. The cost would be a factor as well. Replacing the optical assembly could quickly end up costing you more in parts and labor than you would spend to buy a whole new player (current model, fresh warranty, etc). Of course it wouldn't be an exact match aesthetically, but may be something to consider. If needed, I'll be happy to help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options.

Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nathan

This problem seems to be a soft wear issue as the second unit locked up when using the track program function, until then it had worked fine. Do you think there is a way of doing a hard reset on the unit. Its almost like I have asked it to find track 4 and not start at track 1, and it cannot find track 4, but I'm unable to cancel the request, consequently it will not play any CD

Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Hi Martin,
I still believe this is hardware related and that it locked up because it was unable to read the disc, though anything is possible.
For further reset:
1) Unplug the power cord from the unit
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.