p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I am unable to get any sound from my Panasonic SC-HTB8 HOME

I am unable to get any sound from my Panasonic SC-HTB8 HOME THEATER AUDIO SYSTEM THROUGH MY HITACHI 42" HYT42U tv using audio leads, the audio converter came with the tv,i purchased a optical cable but the tv does not have a socket for it. ...any suggestions would be welcome-thank you
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Your hitachi doesn't have an optical output. It does have a digital audio out connector, but it is a coaxial audio (spdif) connection, rather than optical.

Nathan :

While there are converters that would go from that digital coax to analog red/white stereo connectors, I wouldn't advise it in this case.

Nathan :

You'd be better off with a coax to optical converter, so that you can remain with an all digital signal. You'll get better sound this way.

Nathan :

Now if you have a cable/satellite box, dvd player, etc, you could connect the soundbar to it directly via optical.

Nathan :

The primary reason to use the tv audio out is if you have multiple sources, or if you're using the tvs internal tuner, apps, etc.

Customer:

...by connecting to my sky box, when I watch a dvd or video will I be able to use the sound bar?

Nathan :

No, not without moving the cord around. That is what I meant when I said you're better off connecting to the tv if you have multiple devices.

Nathan :

If the only thing you used was the sky box, then it would make sense.

Nathan :

Otherwise, since you have dvd, vcr, etc connected to the tv also, you should buy the above converter to get audio from tv to soundbar for all of them.