p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

hi my samsung HT E5550 not playing DVDs

hi my samsung HT E5550 not playing DVDs
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Are you getting any type of specific error message? Does it just spit the disc back out?

Customer:

it says anynet+ device is not connected please check connection and then spits the disk out

Nathan :

Okay how is the system connected to your tv?

Customer:

HDMI cable

Nathan :

Are you seeing any signal to the tv (bluray startup screen, settings, menu, etc)?

Customer:

no when i go into the source on my tv the device is there i dont see a start up screen

Nathan :

Can you try connecting the HT to a different hdmi port, or trying a different hdmi cable please?

Customer:

i have tried that

Nathan :

Can you bring up the HT setup menu on the tv screen?

Customer:

whats the HT setup

Nathan :

The setup menu for the samsung

Nathan :

look on the dvd/ht remote, it will have a menu or setup button for adjusting different options

Nathan :

I want to know if you can even get that to display

Nathan :

The issue we're seeing here would indicate a communication problem between the HT system and the tv, or a hardware problem in the HT. I'm trying to isolate the issue further.

Nathan :

Also have you ever updated the firmware on the HT system?

Customer:

what is HT system

Nathan :

HT means home theater. I'm talking about the dvd player, the samsung HT E5550 system.

Customer:

sorry i can bring up network ,system and support on the screen i havent updated the firmware on the HT system

Customer:

hi are you still there

Nathan :

Yes I'm here,

Nathan :

sorry I was getting the update files for you.

Nathan :

That will be the next step here

Customer:

thanks

Nathan :

Let me know if that helps, and we can try some further steps if needed.

Customer:

i dont have a flash drive at the moment my TV is a samsung UE55ES6800 and is connected to the internet

Nathan :

You can try looking in the dvd setup menu (not the tv) to see if you can update it over the network

Nathan :

beyond that though you'll need to get a flash drive to complete the next steps

Nathan :

other than these 2 options, the next best thing you can try is unplugging power to both the tv and dvd for 10+ minutes to let them reboot

Customer:

my tv is downloading software update

Nathan :

Updating the tv software could help, but isn't likely to. What needs the update is the player itself

Customer:

do i insert flash drive into the dvd player

Nathan :

I'm sorry I missed you earlier, I didn't see your last reply come up, I thought you had left to try the network update.

Nathan :

Yes, if updating via flash drive, it inserts to the usb port on the dvd player

Customer:

Hi have downloaded new software still not working

Nathan :

Same error message still?

Nathan :

And are you still able to otherwise access the menu/setup functions on the dvd system?

Customer:

No its connecting i have tried 3 different DVD keeps trying to load after a while it spits the disk out with a message ensure the disk isnt damaged refer to manual to check supported disc formats

Customer:

would the dvd player need cleaned and how would i clean it

Customer:

yes i can access the menu on the dvd system

Nathan :

That was my next suggestion actually, yes

Nathan :

If it isn't giving that anynet message anymore, then we've moved past a communication issue

Nathan :

and it is now a disc issue

Nathan :

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (example: http://amzn.to/1w1eNgB ) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

Nathan :

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Customer:

Thanks ill go to maplin they should have a disc cleaner failing that ill have to get someone to look at it for me Thanks again

Nathan :

You're welcome, and best of luck to you!

Nathan :

Worst case,

Nathan :

if cleaning doesn't help, I honestly wouldn't bother repairing it.

Nathan :

You'd spend more on repairs than to buy a whole new system.

Nathan :

You'd be better off to keep the unit as is and just use it for a sound system, then hook up an external bluray player to it

Nathan :

You can buy a standalone bluray player for £50-75, while you'd spend 200+ to repair or replace the system.

p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands