Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have pioneer nx-700 connected to ARC hdmi on a samsung h6400.

Customer Question

I have pioneer nx-700 connected to ARC hdmi on a samsung h6400. no problems for weeks but over last 3 days, the soundbar keeps switching off for no apparent reason.I have checked all the settings on both the pioneer and the tv,a nd there are no power saving or auto-off boxes ticked. Today, it ran for 5 hours with no problem, then suddenly switches off every 5 minutes.
Any thoughts or suggestions; I have read thro troubleshooting on both tv and pioneer manuals, and find no ideas.
Thank you for your help. Phil
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. The only thing that could cause the soundbar to shut off, would be a faulty HDMI cable, or some Anynet settings adjusted in the TV. Please first go into the Samsung MENU and reset the TV to factory defaults, unplug the Soundbar from power, then replace the HDMI cable with a brand new V1.4 cable- making sure it is secure. Then plug the Soundbar back in and see if it runs without problems. If it still keeps shutting down, then this would indicate an intermittent hardware failure in the soundbar. In this case, please reply back with how long you've owned the soundbar for.
If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied, please click a POSITIVE RATING, as I am an independent Tech- not a Site Employee, and the rating is the ONLY WAY I am credited.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Aric

thank you. Both TV and soundbar are less than 2 months old. I will carry out the factory re set on the TV, and I have a new HDMI 1.4 cable to hand, so I can easily replace that.

I will report back tomorrow and let you know whether we have made progress.

I have not recently changed any Anynet settings, but we do have both a samsung bd-6500, and a humax HD 1000s, both feeding the samsung TV via HDMI. Both have been connected for some time and the sounbar has worked fine with both of them.

Control on is set in the hdmi settings on the sounbar and the tv sound control has been operating the pioneer output volume satisfactorily until now.. Hope this info helps

Phil

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay that sounds good, let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Aric

re set the samsung back to factory setttings, installed brand new QED HDMI v1.4 cable, switched off etc and re started. Ran well on all HDMI inputs for about 6 hours, then suddenly switched itself off again. I have re started the soundbar, and, touch wood, it has now run again without going off for over 1 hour without trouble. Yesterday, once it switched itself off, it happened every 15 to 20 minutes, so slightly better but not yet solved.

Anything else I can try, please?

I just cannot understand how it runs successfully for so long, then crashes without warning.

Phil

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
There's nothing else you can try, as this isn't a setting or adjustment issue with the soundbar. If it's still shutting off, then this indicates an intermittent failure in the bar that will ultimately require service I'm afraid. The steps above that I had given, were all that you can try on a user level to get this to work.
If satisfied, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING? I am not an employee, and the rating is how I am credited.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aric

in despair yesterday, I did the factory re set and then set the bar up again using optical connection instead of hdmi. Once again, all worked well for about 4 hours, then the bar started switching itself off again. It will immediately manually re start, and works for anything between 15 minutes to 45 minutes before switching off again. It did seem less frequent than when connected via hdmi.

I had also switched off the samsung anynet+ feature in case this was causing the problem.

I feel that there is little else I can try.

Phil

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that Phil, and unfortunately there is nothing else you can try and the issue with the soundbar shutting itself off is hardware-related, and not connection, or setting related. I'm sorry but this require service of replacement of the soundbar in order to fix the issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aric

sorry to bother you again; even more confused now! After your last mail, and the fact that the bar was still switching off when connected via optical, I was on the point of disconnecting the bar and returning it.

As last resort, I re connected via hdmi. This time, I could not get any sound output at all, but I did manage to get back to the set up menus and did another re set to factory default. However, still no sound via hdmi, but when I plugged the optical cable back in, everything worked again. Remarkably, it has now worked fine for 3 days without switching off once.

Obviuosly, without the hdmi arc connection, I cannot access menus etc on the screen, so its less convenient, but at least the bar is performing ok sound wise.

Would you still advise me to return it for service/ replacement?

Phil

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
That's a tough call Phil, and I would first try another HDMI cable, since the HDMI not working on the soundbar would indicate a problem. However if you're okay using optical, and the optical does not drop out, then I would wait and see if you have any problems with that connection. If it works reliably then I would personally just keep things setup like that.