p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a Denon 3802 which has been at the heart of my system

I have a Denon 3802 which has been at the heart of my system I have a Denon 3802 which has been at the heart of my system happy years. Suddenly the tuner section failed to operate, much to my wife's dismay, and although I have tried every-which-way to recover this function, noting works (except occasionally radio 2)
Basically, the issue is, can my Denon tuner stage accept digital input from my FM aerial. I note that the failure of the tuner stage may have been connected with the stopping of analog broadcasts
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Unfortunately, this is much more likely to be an internal defect or a problem with the aerial.

Nathan :

The site here isn't showing me your location, but to my knowledge the digital roll over is channels only, not content. While there are some additional digital or HD radio stations broadcasting now, they haven't done away with the analog fm or even am stations.

Nathan :

Have you perhaps tried any AM stations to see if some of those will come in?

Nathan :

You could try a different antenna, clean the connector contacts, check the cabling, etc.

Nathan :

Beyond that though, it is more likely that the internal tuner has simply failed, though that wouldn't be too surprising to see 13 year old reciever.

Nathan :

What we can try is a micorprocessor reset

Nathan :

1 Switch off the unit and remove the AC cord from the wall outlet.
2 Hold the following AUTO button and PCM button, and plug the AC cord into the outlet.
3 Check that the entire display is flashing with an interval of about 1 second, and release your fingers from the 2 buttons and the microprocessor will be initialized

Nathan :

This clears the internal memory/processor and resets all settings back to factory defaults.

Nathan :

If the issue persists even past this point, it would unfortunately tend to confirm an internal fault. That is something that would require repairs to correct, which simply wouldn't be feasible. All parts model are long discontinued, and you'd spend more on labor alone than you would to buy a whole new receiver.

Nathan :

So your options at that point would be to either connect up an external receiver instead to run through the denon, or replace the denon and upgrade to a new digital (hdmi, network, etc) model. In either case I'll be happy to recommend replacement options if you'd like.

Customer: Thanks Nathan
Customer: Thanks, Nathan
Customer: Thanks Nathan, Have just had an antenna check, which I had expece3d would have included the FM aerial but maybe they didn't think of it since the signal is no better with an amplifier on the cables in my wife's radio system. Something I should haver reminded them of when checking signal strength. Water under the bridge, will talk to them about a separate test,
Customer: Thanks Nathan, just made up a long answer only to lose the lot when
Customer: Tghanks Nathan, just lost a longish replay then lost the lot when I sutomatically pressed return new line. need to get that sorted.
Customer: Thanks, ***** ***** lost it again. better get this glitch sorted since pressing return is a pretty automatic thing to do. basically had a TV aerial test which showed a weak signal, but no test was done on the FM aerial so will get that done as well. has to be cheaper than buying a new unit if that is all it is. yes please could you suggest a reasonable replacement unit. I can no long afford the fancy prices I paid original kit, being retired an quite elderly, so a system amplifier to which I could connect a record player, smart TV, blu-ray (DVD) player,sky HD+ box plus a tuner capability and capable of driving two big speakers in the front room plus two speakers in the dining room would be minimal, and hopefully at reasonable price.
Nathan :

I did get your reply, I think. Sorry this chat format doesn't work too well if you're on a tablet or phone, or with some browsers.

Nathan :

Receivers have come down in price overall from when you bought this one, by about half on average features.

Nathan :

If you wanted to try just an external tuner:

Full Size Image
PYLE PT504 Rack Mount AM/FM Digital Tuner with Auto Start Feature (click )

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.