Carl L
Carl L, Technician
Experience:  13+ Years of Computer and Electronics Experience.
27991594

I have a F5000DAB micro system with IPod docking which was

I have a F5000DAB micro system with IPod docking which was given to me 4 years ago. A few months ago it started developing a strange background noise when I was listening to radio and then it all went wrong . It looks as if the Woofer is not working, it makes a strong humming noise all the time and no music/sound whatsoever comes out from radio, CD or IPod.
Nicole
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

there,

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question .

Please note, I am just a moderator category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can wait until Sunday 25 January. After that if there is no satisfactory answer I will want to cancel and be refunded of my deposit of £20.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

,

We will continue to look Professional to assist you.

Thank you patience,

Adam

Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
The humming sound is a missing ground somewhere. If you are getting the same hum from the Radio, CD, and iPod then the issue is either a cold solder joint in the amplifier circuit or the cable connection to the Subwoofer is that is the only speaker affected.
Best Regards,
Carl L
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
Did you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If it is s cold solder joint problem, whatbis the solution. Is this repairable?

Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.
A cold solder joint just means that a solder connection somewhere on a board has cracked and has become an open circuit. With how you're describing it, it would be somewhere in the Final Audio Amplifier Circuit but it can also be in the Preamp Circuit as well. If you're handy with a Soldering Iron, take the Board out and look cracked ring in one of the solder joints. You can also spend 10-20 minutes and resolder any connection you see but I would advise using solder that contains around 30-40% Flux which is an oil based substance that allows you to work with solder freely.
If this sounds to be too much , you can expect to pay anywhere from $60-$80 at a honest repair shop to have this done.
Carl L, Technician
Experience: 13+ Years of Computer and Electronics Experience.