Steve G.
Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company.
329447

I have a Sony DAV DZ531W home cinema system. The DVD keeps

I have a Sony DAV DZ531W home cinema system.
The DVD keeps coming up with an error message. The manual says to check the speaker connections break, Ive done this but still the same error message. I cant use the DVD and its doing my head in.
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Steve G. :

there. . Can you tell me details of the error message?

Steve G. :

.

Customer:

I will get the exact wording when I go home and send it to you.

Steve G. :

Ok. I'm showing that this unit is about 7-8 years old. Is that correct?

Customer:

Approx 5/6 years old

Steve G. :

Hold on please. I will pause the timer while I research.

Steve G. :

Ok, I am back. Sorry. I will leave the timer paused.

Steve G. :

I'm not sure that a repair is going to be your best option.

Steve G. :

How much was this system approx?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
I have converted this dialog from a real time chat to a Q&A session. This means the timer is now not applicable.

Reply when ready - how old is this system?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think it was approx £250. I dont want to repair if its cost affective to replace but as I have two floor standing speakers and two wall mounted i wanted to be sure it wasnt a quick fix.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, understood. When you have details of that error message, let me know and we can continue.

If it is something that reuqires the attention of a pro, I'm not sure that would be economical on a 6 year old unit that cost £250. Your batter bet would be to get a replacement DVD unit and keep your speakers.

Let me know the error so I can be sure.

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will do, thanks so far.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

The errormessage on the system is ''Push Power Protector''
I have tried moving the unit to a different power source but it still comes up with the same message.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that is an internal protection error. Most likely you have a failure inside the unit. This could be power supply or output stages. Either way, it needs attention. I am sorry.

As previosuly stated, paying someone to repair this is not going to be economical. You may be able to find a good used one for £100.

If you give me your post code, I'll see if there is anywood in your area that could look at it.

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Steve

My post code is CH66 4UY

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
I can't find anyone in the Liverpool area that could fix that.

Unfortunately, I think you are going to have to try and replace it. I looked on Ebay UK and saw a complete one go thirty quid. >>>HERE<<<

At that price, you can see how paying repair is a bit silly.

I think that is going to be your best bet - finding a cheap replacement.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Steve
Steve G., Engineer
Experience: VP of electronic repair company.