p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

, I have a Panasonic DVD Home Theater Sound System (SC-PT470)

, I have a Panasonic DVD Home Theater Sound System (SC-PT470) and would like to use a compatible ipod with it, so 1) which ones are compatible and 2) can you use an iphone instead?
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

The panasonic doesn't support ipods directly via usb, as it is limited to .wma audio files via usb, while ipods use .aac or .mp3 typically.

Nathan :

You can however use an ipod/pad/phone, or really any external audio device via the red/white AUX jacks on the back.

Nathan :

You'd simply connect the headphone jack on the ipod with a minijack to stereo cable and set the panasonic to the aux input mode.

Nathan :

Typically you'll want to set the volume on the ipod at about 80% and adjust the final volume on the panasonic. Content (song/track, artist, etc) will be controlled on the ipod itself, not on the panasonic or by remote.

Nathan :

Alternately, while the panasonic doesn't have airplay built in, you could connect an external device such as an appletv (via the optical lead) and then use airplay from a wifi capable ipod touch, iphone/pad, etc to the appletv via wifi, which would be played through the panasonic system that way. This would also give you access to itunes movies, netflix, and many other apps on the tv

Customer:

Thabks

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** useful information but I am a little mystified by the fact that there is an ipod dock at the front of the unit - I just wondered if all ipods were compatible with that docking system as I'm about to invest in an iphone. Would welcome your advice. Thanks, Roy

Nathan :

That ipod dock was built at a time when ipods were really just "ipods", so it can work of the older versions, but newer hardware, anything with ios 7 or higher, and a newer iphone (with a lightening connector as opposed to the 30 pin) won't work.

Nathan :

You'll still be fine using the aux cable though.

Customer:

Ok, many thanks