Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

I have a SC-BTX70 Blu-ray Home Theatre Sound System connected

I have a SC-BTX70 Blu-ray Home Theatre Sound System connected via an Optical Audio Cable and a Panasonic RP-CDHX50 HDMI flat cable to HDMI 2 on the TX-P42G20B Plasma Television connected via HDMI 1 using a Panasonic RP-CHE15 HDMI cable to the DMR-HWT230 HDD Recorder.
I have performed a TV reset to Shipping Condition and Home Theatre reset.
Viera Link will not work.
I have to switch all three units on from standby using each of the respective remotes.
The Home Theatre displays SETUP but up and down or OK buttons do nothing so I have to press EXT-IN to get it to D in 1 so that the sound from the TV goes through it. The sound is then only adjustable using the Home Theatre remote and have to turn down the sound on the TV itself to zero using the TV remote.
On the TV remote I have to press INPUT AV and move it down to HDMI 1
On the HDD recorder the first 3 letters of the display continually flash (eg BBC or ITV etc)
This is a lot of messing around to turn on and operate a system that is all from one company, particularly after I have also replaced the HDMI cables with Panasonic cables.
There has got to be some system setup procedures to get them all to talk to one another.
Please please please can you help as it is all so frustrating and annoying when I have equipment from one supplier that wont talk to each other properly.
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Have you tried to enable Viera Link option in Setup of TV menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, what happens if you try to enable it?
Does TV show any error message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will just switch on the equipment upstairs then I can tell you the exact message it displays but it is something like "not available" will be back soon

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please take your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Using the TV remote - Menu - Setup - Link Settings - Veira Link On

Using TV remote - Viera Tools - Viera Link Control - Displays "Feature Not Available"

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
Please unplug TV, home theater and recorder power cords from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset.
Replug TV power cord in, turn it On and again check Viera Link option is On in setup of menu.
Now replug home theater system and turn it On and check if TV recognize it/ HDMI handshake happens?
If so then connect recorder power cord in wall socket and turn it On and check if TV recognize it?
Please reply back with the result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried this before for 5 mins but have actually then plugged them all back in so have now unplugged all the 3 pieces of equipment and will wait 10 mins and follow your reconnection sequence exactly. Fingers crossed.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, I hope this will work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

TV power cord in, turned on and Viera Link option is on in TV Setup Menu.

Home Theatre power cord in, waited but nothing so switched on Home Theatre with Home Theatre remote, display on Home Theatre goes to BD/DVD then Setup.

TV remote checked Viera Link Control and again displays on TV "Feature not Available"

I have not powered up the recorder yet.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, please press Setup on Bluray remote and go to "TV/Device Connection" then select "HDMI Connection" and enable Viera Link option there, also check Power Off link option.
Please reply back with the result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pressed Setup (small buttom at bottom left of Theatre remote) nothing happened.

As SETUP was displayed on Theatre display screen I pressed OK on Theatre remote and the display changed to No Disc.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
This is odd, please turn Off bluray system for a while and turn On recorder.
Press Setup and go to Connection then select HDMI Connection and enable Viera Link and check it it works with TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Turned off Bluray and unplugged it. Followed your instructions above

HDMI Connection

HDMI Video Format - Automatic

Deep Colour Output - Automatic

HDMI Audio Output - ON

Contents Type Flag - Automatic

Viera Link - On

But when I try Viera Link it again it displays "Feature Not Available"

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
This is really odd and I'm out of ideas as what it could be so opting out to open the question to others, hopefully some one will soon respond to assist you.
Please do not rate my answers and leave it as it is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is really disappointing. It wouldn't be so bad if at least the Bluray Home Theatre would default to D in 1 and know that the signal was coming from the TV instead of always looking for a disc. I then have to press EXT In every time I switch everything on to get the sound working through the Bluray Home Theatre, turn the TV sound right down and use the Bluray remote to adjust the sound. Its all Panasonic equipment and yes it works but having to use 3 remotes is a lot of messing about.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please continue to find an answer for me
Keeping my figures crossed. Thanks Dave
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks I do hope you can find someone who can fix this frustrating problem for me

Best regards Dave

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. I see a couple of problems, and also a solution. First, Vieralink isn't compatible with anything that is not Vieralink. It's a pain, and misleading, I know. Samsung has the same problem, as well as Sony. They do it on purpose so you have to buy specific gear to go with your TV.
The way around this is to use the optical connection from your TV to your sound system, and use a remote with macros. Here is what I'm talking about:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=833606&gclid=Cj0KEQiAjZGnBRCOuJOUo9Xd0sUBEiQAPbicN0He2V-YX_o2Sa98I7bVP5f2hBdvcWd8lHYYgKgS-rcaAg0I8P8HAQ&is=REG&Q=&A=details
I have had one for 2 years, and I love it. All the programming is done on your computer. It takes about 45 minutes to set up for the first time, but then if anything happens, just plug it back into your computer and re-sync the remote. Takes about a minute.
This remote will follow commands to get your system working the way it should with the touch of only one button. I feel this is the best solution to your dilemma, rather than fighting with gear that isn't compatible with each other.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your answer which maybe a solution but maybe not really the one I was looking for. All my equipment is Panasonic including the HDMI cables and all of them including the HDMI cables have veira link on the literature and boxes without exception so it is ever so annoying that it won't work. I have been in touch with Panasonic by email and politely ask the same questions as I have asked above but they are now not answering my emails. I have suggested to them that it must be a software (they call it firmware) fault but they poo poo this so I suggested it must be the way it is set up. I have returned it to all to shipping factory settings at there request but still nothing.

By some unknown fluke though, (meaning I don't know what I did), but although the viera link still displays "Feature not available" when I use the Recorder remote to switch on TV first (there is a separate TV on / off on this remote) then pointing this Recorder remote at the Bluray Theatre and pressing the main on / off both the Bluray Theatre and Recorder come on. The Bluray goes to D in 1 connecting it to the TV and as I have set the TV setup to look for HDMI 1 instead of TV all works fine. Except to alter the sound on the Bluray Theatre I have to use the Bluray Theatre remote. So down to 2 remotes required rather than 3.

Bluray Theatre remote to alter the sound and Recorder remote for everything else. Although not tried watching a DVD since the fluke happened.

The link you gave is to a USA website and it will not allow me to import to the UK. However I have found this link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-915-000229-Harmony-650-Remote/dp/B00IRUS6K6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

can you look at this and tell me if this is the same item. I am hesitant to buy as the existing Recorder remote has a skip function that allows me to skip the adverts and wouldn't be best pleased if this was not available with your suggested universal remote and at £65 it is not cheap if it doesn't work. Some of the reviews say the previous version is better and the OK button is small but you never know who is making the review it could be someone with big stubby fingers. Sorry for the ramble but do hope you can help. Looking forward to your reply. Best regards Dave.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, sorry for the delay, I had a sound system to set up for the city yesterday afternoon. The link you provided is the exact same remote that I suggested. These remotes take headaches out of home theater systems. VieraLink will never work the way this remote works, and you can add other components to the system as well.
It does have a skip button, which may function a little differently than your remote. However, if it doesn't act exactly like your remote, you can program one of the four color coded buttons to act as the skip function to get through the commercials. I think you will be very pleased with the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty, this is the first time I have used justanswer and I must admit that I am pleased with the service and would rate it as excellent although the information you have provided does not directly fix the equipment I have and involves me purchasing a new remote. I have already had £27 taken from my account so am I right in assuming the higher I rate you the more of the £27 you will receive? Or will it cost me even more? Also the problem isn't solved until I have your suggested remote and have it up and running. As I am about to be away now for a few weeks this isn't going to happen until mid March. If I then have problems setting up the remote and I have rated your answer I assume I will not be able to get back to you for advice.

Best regards Dave.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
It will not cost you any more, you will only be billed the amount you agreed upon when you signed up, not a penny more.
I am happy to hear that you are pleased with the service, as I strive for excellence. Although your answer is different than you thought it would be, it is the most efficient method to do what you are describing. With the growing number of electronic devices in our home theaters these days, macro remotes are becoming more and more popular, because there are no compatibility barriers. It's a good way to move along with technology.
You will be able to reach me in March, even after you rate. Rating does not close the question. I've also been here since December 2011, so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. :-) I'll be happy to assist you in the setup of the remote if you need help. Bookmark this page, and you can always reach me here.
Rusty, Engineer
Experience: Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.