Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35+ years as audio/video repair and installation tech.
39158752

I am trying to connect Panasonic Sound Bar model SC-HTB680

Customer Question

I am trying to connect Panasonic Sound Bar model SC-HTB680 to my ( old ? ) Panasonic Plasma TV , model:TH-37PV70EY.
I have tried lots of cables !! Still no sound from my new bar.
Mark
Dublin, Ireland
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;

How is that UPC box connected to the tv , is it HDMI or does it have a HDMI port ?

About that 3rd " 3. RCA 3.5 mm, from TV to sound bar "

Where did you connect that on the sound bar ?

Do you happen to have 2 HDMI cables handy ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jack
I only have one HDMI cable currently, could buy another in a day or two.
The TV is currently connected to the UPC box with a SCART cable. No HDMI port on the UPC box.
I connected the sound bar with that 3.5 mm cable in the only port of that size, according to the manual it's the Ir SYSTEM terminal
Regards ***** *****
Mark
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then yes that is correct about the IR port , you cannot use that and as a matter of fact there are NO analog input on that sound bar which is rather odd .

The optical out from the upc box should`ve worked though .

Beside making sure the sound bar digital optical input was selected as input , not hdmi i mean , did you make sure the optical cable protective rubber tips were removed ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Right now Mark beside the optical input ,the only other ways this could,ve worked would have been if your UPC box had a hdmi out port that could have gone through the sound bar and then to the tv or if your tv had a hdmi port with the ARC (audio return channel)function which it does not have so you have to find out why the optical port does not work .

If you have a cd or dvd unit then they usually have that optical port .

Try to play a music cd and see if you can get sound out of the sound bar , if nothing is coming out that way then something is wrong with that sound bar .

Return it and get a new one or get a different model that has an analog input

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jack
I have a DVD Recorder, not connected !! So I may as we'll try to link this up. According to the manuals, I need to connect this into my TV with a SCART lead, I have on of them spare !! I can connect the DVD to the Sound Bar via the digital optical cable. Will I need to connect audio from TV to DVD ????
Mark
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

What i was getting at was to test your sound bar optical input first or simply test the sound bar as you never got any sounds out of it yet .

I was mentioning a cd or dvd player with an audio disc because in that case you would be sure that there is sound coming out of the optical port .

Simply connect that player directly into the sound bar , never mind the tv for now

If your sound bar does not give you any sound there then there is a problem with it and no use to try and connect it to your tv and figure it out .

On the other end if you do indeed have sound there then we could try and figure out why its not coming out of the tv or that UPC box ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

By the way , i just looked at your tv and it does NOT have an optical out port so that leaves you with only the UPC box if it does have one .

In other words your dvd player is out even if you get the upc box to work .

Sorry to say Mark but you got the wrong sound bar for your system here .

You need a sound bar that has at least one analog input

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jack
I have sound !!! Connected my iPhone to the Bar via Bluetooth.
So now, I best try connecting in the DVD player !!
Mark
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then that shows the sound bar is functional (bluetooth anyway) and now you can test the optical with the dvd player but that won`t give you the tv that has no digital or optical audio output of any kind .

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

If you can get the sound bar`s optical input going then what could be done would be to use an analog to digital/optical converter like what you can see at the link below , just click on it;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PETATDP-Digital-Converter--Receiver-Soundbar-black/dp/B00DHPHIJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426549649&sr=8-1&keywords=analog+to+digital+audio+converter

This will take the analog left/right output on your tv and convert it to optical that you can then feed into the sound bar