Shahid
Shahid, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been repairing Home Theater Systems as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Right hand tape drawer on my CD system SA-CH84M will not open.

right hand tape drawer on my CD system SA-CH84M will not open. any ideas?
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Does left hand tape mechanism work fine or also stuck?
- Does CD system work?
- Any idea, how old is the unit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

left tape opens O.K.

CD mostly fine

About 10years

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thank for the info.
- Is there any tape stuck in right side mechanism?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. Also CD cover does not latch properly but cds still play.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

OK, I'm working on it and get back to you shortly.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for delayed reply, this kind of problem occurs due to either worn out belts or loading gears in mechanism, rubber belts usually worn out after some time thus mechanism doesn't work properly and stuck some where on loading or unloading stage.
Entire CD system will need to take apart to access to tape mechanisms and it wouldn't be an easy work, I can provide you service manual copy which will help you to disassemble/ reassemble it safely and rest would be your own expertise/ skills if you wish to repair it yourself and if you're not comfortable working on it yourself then local TV repair shop will do this job for you.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THANKS FOR THIS INFO.

I already downloaded a repair manual but it didn't really show how to get to the tape drawer.

By the way - the main website is atrocious. It brings up the "join" window almost every time which is most confusing. Also it flashes pop-ups behind the main screen which might not get noticed.

I mention this because I nearly cancelled the contract.....

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Please ignore those popups or join monthly subscription plan offers to continue as those offers are being sent by website system and I have no control over it.
Please check the manual for disassemble procedure shown at page-5 and onward to detach the front panel where tape mechanisms are mounted then rotate the capstan wheel manually (with finger etc) to disengage the stuck mechanism to get it reset and hopefully tape door will get open.
Tape mechanism is bit complicated so if you wish to get it disassemble then please do it at your won risk as I wouldn't be able to assist you from here because it is totally mechanical work which needs real hands on job.
Regards,
Shahid.