Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I am considering buying KEF speakers Tuner/ Amp SA-GX

I am considering buying KEF speakers for my Tuner/ Amp SA-GX 100L. The speakers offer a resistance of 6 ohms. The stated requirement on the amp is 8 to 16 ohms. Can I go ahead?
Regards M.Cutlan
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. The amplifier is stating that it's "minimum" rated impedance is 8 ohms- and anything lower can cause the receiver to overheat and go into "protect mode"- so on paper, the KEF speakers should not be used. However in practice, a speaker's impedance is not a "fixed" value- meaning it will vary up and down depending on the music played. The lowest impedance the speaker will produce- is when the bass is turned up and there is lots of bass in the signal, and also when the speakers are cranked very loudly. For regular listening purposes they will be fine though. Now, if you plan on cranking those speakers and/or listening to lots of music with heavy bass- what I would recommend is putting ONE 2 OHM 100 WATT resistor in series on the Positive leg of each speaker. This will present the receiver with an 8 OHM load and allow it to be in it's safe zone. The link below is where you can purchase these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-OHM-100-WATT-POWER-RESISTOR-DIVERSION-DUMP-DUMMY-LOAD-12V-VOLT-/150701187845 If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.