p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

My pioneer slim micro system has 2 issues1. very slow to

my pioneer slim micro system has 2 issues
1. very slow to open the cd case
2. nor reading the cd therefore cannot play anything
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What is the full model number of the system please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model number X-SMC0013TB

Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Sorry but could you recheck that? It does not appear to be a valid model number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oops..Model number is

X-SMCOOBTB

Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Great thanks for confirming.So we have 2 separate issues here.Regarding the slow opening: Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place). We can't readily resolve a hardware problem, but the playback issue may be related, and the resolution to it may actually help with the opening too.Regarding the playback:This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens). If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly. If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement. Let me know the results, and I"ll advise further if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi..sorry for the delay..was waiting for delivery of the recommended item.

tried using compressed air but no effect at all

tried the prolens cleaner but no effect at all ..in fact the prolens cleaner will not run

a couple of observations...the door for the CD will happily open and close when the machine is in FM mode

when set to CD mode the screen registers the mode but does not read..i.e. it would usually display "no CD" or read the tracks until commanded to start playing

Any more ideas??

Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying.
Unfortunately, this would then tend to confirm an internal hardware fault, most likely a failing control board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear as well.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the mains
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. That is something that would require repairs to correct, though in general this is not feasible. They don't make parts available for these shelf systems, and labor alone would be more than a whole new system.
You'd be better off at that point just using it as-is and connecting an external cd player, ipod, etc or replacing it entirely.
Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,
Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi...sad to report that nothing worked...so it looks like I'll be buying a new CD player...really annoying as this one is only 18 months old?

Many thanks for all your efforts. I really appreciate it

Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying, and I'm sorry that didn't work.These units I believe have only a 1 year warranty, but it still wouldn't hurt to call up pioneer and complain, you may be able to get them to replace it for you, or give you credit toward a new model.If you'd like some replacement model recommendations, just let me know. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1e81djv Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan