Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Can you help connect a Yamaha sound box to a Samsung tv

Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hi, What is the Model Number of the Yamaha "sound box"? Also what is the model number off the back of the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I call you on a phone?
Yamaha YSP2500
Samsung UE 48 JS85000
Please if I can call you can probably do over the phone easiest?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
No I can't talk on the phone, and it doesn't really help us with tech problems anyhow as it's best to post things here so you can refer back to them.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Pulling up info on the Yamaha and Samsung now.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I need you to double check that TV model number as it's not showing up in any searches. Please check that and post back.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I also need to know what other "sources" you're planning on using with the TV- for example Cable/SAT box, DVD player, etc., and are these already connected to the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Samsung UE48JS850 0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sky box
Sound bar that's it
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. You will run an optical cable from the TV's optical out (Digital audio out), to the optical in on the soundbar. Then go into the Samsung Menu, under SOUND, and shut off the internal speakers- selecting "external sound system". Use the Yamaha remote's Input button and select the optical input to have the TV sound run through the soundbar. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to use HDMI ARC connection not the optical cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to use the HDMI ARC connection and not the optical cable please
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You would need to connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI ARC jack on the TV, and to the HDMI OUT on the Yamaha. Select the external speakers in the TV sound menu and then select the HDMI as the source on the Yamaha- let me know what happens.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Do you nee further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes probably in about 30 mins
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay sounds good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not able to get into TV sound system controls ?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Why not? I'm not there to see what you are- please describe where you're stuck, what you see on the TV screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have attached TV HDMI ARC to Yamaha ARC
I can open an e manual on the TV which offers options none seem to lead to an outcome suitable yet!
I have tried Picture and Sound and that only teaches how to play around internal sound etc
Conections only leads to how to connect the cables between TV and Yamaha using HDMI or optical cable as discussed
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Connecting a device using an optical cable does not automatically turn off the TV speakers.To turn off the TV's speakers, set Speaker Select ((MENU/123) MENU Sound SpeakerSettings Speaker Select) to something other than TV Speaker.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I connected by HDMI not optical
And I want to turn off TV speakers but how?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I realize you're using ARC- and those steps are EXACTLY what you do? Read them word for word and those are the options you need to select.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How co I get to speaker select .
how do I get to start this option?
How
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Please read it again- these are the specific options: Press MENU----> select: Sound---->select: SpeakerSettings Speaker Select) to something other than TV Speaker.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Audio Out ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only one option is actually available other than TV Speaker
Audio Out
Others are grey text and non selectable in drop down menu with Audio Out selected there is simply no sound at all.
What next?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As advised I have followed your instructions and selected Audio Out and I have no sound now.
Can you help further please?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
What SOURCE is the Yamaha set to please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HDMI 1
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
What is plugged into HDMI 1 on the Yamaha?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You also need to set the Yamaha to playback the HDMI AUDIO OUT, as outlined in the instructions on page 59 at the link below: http://www2.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageBank/v20141009131900/Manuals/022/022YSP2500.PDF
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the Yamaha I have one cable HMMI connected to the TV box
I have done it ARC out as marked on the Yamaha
no other cable other than power
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Please scroll up and read my last reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just got to page 59 studying
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am I now going to need a control to get to some other menu system?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
What?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done that bit from manual on pages 30 51 and 59
no sound yet
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, sounds like you're going to need to use that optical cable, since the HDMI ARC isn't working.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please explain not working all the kit is brand new out of the box?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I couldn't tell you- you've set all the settings per the instructions and it simply will not work, so I don't know what else to tell you. I've opted out of the question.