Steve G.
Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company.
329447

I have a new Sony 50W809c and a Sony Soundbar HT-NT3. I have

I have a new Sony 50W809c and a Sony Soundbar HT-NT3. I have an existing SKY HD box.
What is the best way of connecting all of these with SKY HD please so i achieve optimal sound?
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way. The soundbar has an HDMI input AND an output. The optimal connection would be Sky Box to Soundbar HDMI input via HDMI cable and Soundbar HDMI output to TV via HDMI cable. Can you try that and let me know if you need further help. I'll be here.Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The TV and Soundbar both have ARC HDMI. Sky HD only outputs Dolby Digital audio via optical. So i guess i need to cable optical somewhere in the solution and also utilise ARC?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
If the Sky box won't output audio via HDMI (are you sure??), you have a couple of options.1) Run the optical to the soundbar and HDMI from the Sky box direct to the TV.2) Run the optical to the TV and use the ARC connection to send that to the soundbar. ARC can be a hassle to set up properly. I would try #1 for now. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought ARC just worked out the box?Sky will output normal sound over HDMI but onl Dolby Digital over optical.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
If you use ARC, there may be a setting in the TV to enable it. Other than that, you should be good to go. Please let me know if you need further help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So:
HDMI ARC on Sound Bar to HMDI ARC on TV
Optical OUT on SKY to Optical IN on Sound Bar
HDMI from SKY to SoundbarThat would work and give me dolby digital sound?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
You would need to take the optical to the TV.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry i am struggling to get my head round this. If i sent optical to the TV would it still output through the sound bar?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes. That is what ARC does. It sends the audio back down the HDMI cable. The soundbar can't listen to the HDMI input at the same time as the optical. You can only pick one.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
ARC also will get the audio to the soundbar if you plug in a camera to the TV or a USB stick etc. Anything sent to the TV will go to the soundbar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ahh right ok. So if i optical to the TV from sky. The sound will be sent down the ARC HDMI and out through the soundbar in Dolby?Do i plug the HDMI cable into the soundbar or the TV from SKY?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Well, again, there are several ways to do this. My original answer gives you the two best ways: 1) Run the optical to the soundbar and run HDMI cable from the Sky box direct to the TV.2) Run the optical to the TV and use the ARC connection to send that to the soundbar. Either one is fine.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
With #2, you would run HDMI from Sky box to soundbar.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
And HDMI from soundbar ARC to TV ARC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for the delay. Slept on this
This is what I'm thinking. Let me know if it will work based on what you have said.
1. Optical from Sky to TV
2. Hdmi from Sky to sound bar
3. Arc from sound bar to TV
4. Media player hdmi to sound bar
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You still there Steve?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again. Sorry for the delay. I don't normally work until the afternoon.. I'm not sure that will work. You see you can tell the soundbar to listen to the HDMI or the optical. Not both at the same time. Are you completely sure that the soundbar will not pass dolby digital? And why do you need it? You only have one speaker which is the soundbar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well isn't what i have put what you suggested as number 2 in your suggestion?I have attached the Audio spec of the sound bar if that helps in any way?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is a link to the set up guide for the sound bar.
I just want a way of being able to get DD from SKY.http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4559518721.pdf
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Right. It shows DD as being available on HDMI. In fact, everything is available on HDMI. So junk the optical. Run HDMI from Skybox to soundbar and HDMI from soundbar to TV. Steve