Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Dear Ion,I have an LP2CP, bought two years ago, and am only

Dear Ion,
I have an LP2CP, bought two years ago, and am only now getting around to transferring music from vinyl LPs to CD-Rs.
I know that I can monitor the music as the LPs are saving to the internal flash by listening on headphones using the 3.5mm jack plug. However I'd like to monitor and listen through speakers while I'm doing other things around the room or elsewhere in the house. I've tried connecting the red and white RCA phono plugs from the Ion Phono Out to my (old) home hifi Phono In which is a Sony HCD-500, connected to 2xspeakers Sony SS-XB500 ( labelled "rated impedance 80" ( it doesn't actually say Ohms)). Now this set-up plays vinyl fine from its companion Stereo Turntable Sony PS-LX56.
However as soon as I connect the Ion, there is a terrible distortion and roaring over the speakers, unless I turn the Sony's volume down so low as to be useless for listening. Same occurs trying to play a commercial CD from Ion ( in CD player mode) to Sony.
Please tell me what I may have to do to to make them work together?
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the issue is that your Ion turntable does NOT get connected to a phono stage- it already has a built in phono stage. That is why you're getting a terrible distortion- because you have around 80 db of gain. Plug the turntable into the standard Line Level or AUX Input on the Sony- your Ion is line level- not phono level due to it's built in phono stage.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Also many Hoe Stereo systems have red and white AUX or TV Inputs, which would work just fine with your Ion. You simply need to make sure that the Input the Ion is connected to is NOT marked as "Phono". One of the units at the link below would work just fine:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DAVTZ140-5-1ch-Cinema-System/dp/B0074ZRNAY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1443274163&sr=8-3&keywords=home+theater
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-DH4430P-Channel-Cinema-System/dp/B00FE83AO6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1443274199&sr=8-4&keywords=home+theater
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aric, thank you for advice so far. I am away from home until Tuesday, and will give you a top rating after I have tried your advice then.
Ian
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay that sounds good. reply back at any time if you run into problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Aric,

I'm back home and following your advice does not seem to give a result right away.

I can see now that I was wrong to say the red/white pair of sockets I was using to come out of the ION were labelled "phono out." They in fact say "LINE OUT."

So should I still be using them to head towards the amp on my SONY. There are no other sockets, other than a similar pair saying " LINE IN," (which I believe are for recording from an external source onto the internal flash memory in the ION.)

(There is also a USB exit and a USB cable, which I believe is for having the ION talk to a PC and put music in ITunes.)

Then when I look at the back of my SONY, there are:......

a pair labelled PHONO IN,

two pairs IN and OUT in a section labelled MD

a pair AUDIO IN and AUDIO OUT, and a single (white) VIDEO IN in a section labelled VIDEO, and finally a single (white) VIDEO OUT.

( There is no USB female socket and there is no jack socket.)

Please tell me what I should connect to what to hear a vinyl record playing on the ION over the speakers attached to my SONY.

Ian.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Line Out on the Ion to Audio In on the Sony. If the sound is still distorted there is a problem with the Ion or the Sony.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aric,
Many thanks for your prompt reply.
That works fine, I'm very happy. I found I can hear fine provided I select Video 1 on the Function selector, presumably because the Audio Ins are in the Video 1 section.
Please, finally, tell me what the initials MD stand for?
Then we'll be done!
Ian
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Excellent and I'm glad to hear that! MD stands for Mini Disc.