Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Pioneer VSX-1122 K receiver...I have a Magnavox

Customer Question

Hi: I have a Pioneer VSX-1122 K receiver...I have a Magnavox MDR161V DVD Recorder/VCR with Line-Recording (No Tuner)...Can you confirm if I place the HDMI cord in BD IN slot or the DVR/BDR slot...Not sure if it matters but my receiver is attached to a projection screen. Thanks, Bob
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. It does not matter which port you connect the Magnavox HDMI cable to on the Pioneer receiver so long as you use the Pioneer remote to select the correct source (BD In if connected to BD Input, DVR if connected to the DVR Input, etc.). You also need the Pioneer connected to the projector (not just a screen, unless you mean a projection TV?) using an HDMI cable and then HDMI selected on the TV/Projector Input/Source selection. Let me know if you're running into further problems and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Currently it is attached to HDMI out (DVD/VCR) and DVR/BDR (receiver) is that correct? If so, how can I record to the VCR from a taped show saved on the cable box DVR? Is this possible with receiver attached to the Epson Home Theater Projector and not a tv? Currently I use Sat/Cbl button to watch the cable channels and DVR recording on cable box. I need to switch to the DVR/BDR to watch VHS tapes but there should be a way to tape recorded DVR show from the cable box to the VHS tape...do I need additional cables or is this not possible to the Epson Home Theater Projector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the Epson Home Theater Projector?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, You can't record using the HDMI connections- the only way to record is to have the cable box connected to the recorder using RCA red,white and yellow cables.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You can leave the HDMI connections for viewing, but ALSO need those RWY cables from the cable box to the recorder's "INPUT" jacks- this has nothing to do with the Home Theater receiver or the projector- they are independent connections.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...let me try and I'll be back with you shortly...Thank you.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay no problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..that did not work...VCR (audio white/yellow - in & video red - in)...Cable box (audio white/yellow - out & video red - out)...also VCR (HDMI out)...Receiver (DVD/BDR - in)...I have spare audio video cords...should I take a set of the RWY cords and go from the VHS to the receiver and take a second set I have from the cable box to the receiver? If so In or out from the VHS to the receiver and in or out from the cable box to the receiver. Thanks.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The receiver has no bearing on recording. The cables I described above are how you get the signal into the recorder. Turn the cable box on, make sure there are RWY cables from Cable Box OUT to the Recorder IN, play a program on the cable box. Hit record on the recorder with a VHS in the recorder. Then when you're done recording, select the DVD/BDR source on the Pioneer. Hit PLAY on the VHS. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck...
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't use the phone call facility, as it costs you more and doesn't help us here. The site sends that offer to you automatically.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is our next step? will someone else call me since I requested it or can you cancel the request?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please tell me whom your cable provider is, and also what is the make and model of the cable box? The reason I ask is that some providers block the recording feature from their boxes- for instance Charter in my area does for a fact.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have time Warner...this is not the problem as I am able to record on our other tv...this is what has me puzzled...somehow routing thru the receiver is causing the problem since the connection is not from the cable to the tv but instead to the receiver and then to the the home theater projector.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It's likely that using HDMI out on the cable box is actually bypassing the RCA outputs on the cable box. Try unplugging the HDMI cable altogether and then use the RWY connections from the cable box to the recorder (this is the protocol for recording). The HDMI is not what is being used for recording, the RWY jacks are what are used for recording. You can omit the HDMI connections altogether as they are not used in any way for recording (HDMI is High Def Copyright protected).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's not going to work...HDMI cord from the cable box to receiver feeds the projector...when I unplug the HDMI from cable box I have no cable feed...coaxial cable from wall to cable box then HDMI to receiver allows for picture on wall.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes you would- you'd have the HDMI feed from the recorder which is then displaying what you're recording. This method above is the only way it is going to work- recording is not possible with HD connections, so beyond that, you're at an impasse. I will opt out and open the question up to other experts at this stage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to leave to pick up my son can we continue later? What is your schedule today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...let me know...Thanks for your help =:)...I will leave this chat open and respond when I return in about an hour.