Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have aKenwood DP940 CD player in my Kenwood hifi system.

I have aKenwood DP940 CD player in my Kenwood hifi system. It received a CD and plays it but does not respond to stop/skip etc commands nor will it eject the disc.
What can be done/
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Are you saying this issue only occurs with a certain CD? Or does it happen with all discs? Additionally, how long have you owned the player for and when did the issue occur?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This problem started unexpectedly. Prior to this the CD player had performed well. This is a new CD which had no problems on other players (car etc). When I power on the DP940 player the CD starts at Track 10 and plays through sequentially to the last track 15. I cannot control the player with stop/pause/skip or eject function switches.

I switch power off to stop it playing. The display shows which track is playing correctly and is reading Tracks 10 - 15 accurately with great sound quality as per usual. No sign of tracks 1 - 9 on display or being played.

All other functions on the Midi M91 system work normally (Tuner/Phono/cassettes)

I bought this system new back in the 1980s and use it very infrequently as an office machine. I have upgraded the main Hi-fi system in the living room in the last 10 years. This problem started in the last year.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
This is a microprocessor failure in the CD player- if none of the buttons respond, you're looking at most likely a failed processor chip. Please try unplugging the machine for an hour or more to allow residual current to drain from it, and then plug it in and see if you have the same problem. Let me know what happens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unplugging and repowering made no difference I am afraid.

Is it feasible/cost effective to effect a repair for likely processor chip?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear that. Given the age and the lack of availability of parts on a 10 year old unit- it does not make sense to pursue repairs. A replacement player would be less than having this older model repaired and would be money better spent. Sorry for the bad news on this, and I wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.