Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

Pioneer xv-dv55, i cant get surround sound when i plug in my

pioneer xv-dv55, i cant get surround sound when i plug in my blue ray, i am using the digital out from the blue ray to the digital in on video 2 on the pioneer
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Are you able to hear the front speakers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, front speakers and sub are all playing, the rear ones only are coming on when i choose simulated 5:1, but they all work fine and correctly to 5:1 when the integral dvd is playing, the problem is when i connect the blue-ray player.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, when you're on a blu-ray movie, press SYS and then press DTS repeatedly until AUTO is selected. Does that turn them on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, i also put the sound test on the pioneer system and each speaker correctly produces "white noise" when sellected
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
The problem is somewhere in the decoding method. You need Dolby to get your rear speakers to work. While I look up specifics, look at your Blu-ray audio settings, and make sure it's outputting in Dolby, vs PCM. Also check the disc to make sure it has the Dolby symbol.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rusty, thanks for your help with my system, you were correct and the blue ray was outputting pcm, i have changed it to dolby and all speakers are now working. The problem now is that every fey minutes when a blue ray is being played there is a split second when there is no sound at all, i guess that is because my system is older, it is having difficulty buffering the sound as i imagine the blue ray sound detail is far greater than a standard dvd. If that is the case i guess it is a new amp in the sales!!