p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a Samsung HW J250 wireless soundbar. My TV is a 10 yr

I have a Samsung HW J250 wireless soundbar. My TV is a 10 yr old Panasonic Viera. The TV has no hdmi or usb ports. I have a virgin (cisco) TVO box. I bought an optical audio cable to fit between the soundbar and the TVO box. I still cant get any joy. Any suggestions please?
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Try going into the virgin box settings and set the audio output format to pcm/stereo (not dolby or digital). You also need to be certain that the soundbar is properly set to the optical/dig input mode. Let me know if you get stuck.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nathan, thanks for the advice. I will be trying it Sunday 3/4/16 as I am out all day tomorrow. I will let you know.
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome, and best of luck to you. Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nathan, change of plan. Ive gone to settings. The audio settings that come up are ;- Alt audio, which gets default language. Dolby Digital which gives me either Dolby digital or Dolby digital to PCM which it is set on. The last setting is sound effects volume, this gives me off, low, medium or high. No other settings shown. Hope this is helpful as nothing gets the sound bar working. Sound bar set on D. IN Thanks Trevor
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure it is set to PCM, and you are connected from soundbar directly to the virgin box (not to tv)? Do you have anything else you can test in the same manner, like a dvd player, so we can confirm the functionality of the soundbar?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nathan, no other devices to check soundbar. The opt/aud cable is connected from TVO box to soundbar as there is no connection to tv other than scart or stereo jacks. Have tried both settings on tv, still no joy
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried the auxiliary connection (red/white rca cables) from the box? It is possible that the box just isn't outputting digital audio.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nathan, the problem is solved. When I purchased the opt/audio cable I didn't realise there were caps on the end of the cable. My son googled the loose connection on the cable and low and behold I'm not the only one that has made the same mistake. Caps now removed, proper connection made and whoose were off! Many thanks for your time. I will rate you high so don't worry
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update, I'm glad you were able to track it down! Have a great day,Nathan