Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Technician
Experience:  Many years experience with hi-end audio and video systems and setup.
25267123

Hallo, how do I have to connect a stax headphone

hallo,
how do I have to connect a stax headphone preamplifier(which I need for driving my stax electrostatic headphone) to a yamaha cx-a5100 surround preamplifier and be able to enjoy DTS HEADPHONE:X ?
kind regards,
Frans *******
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.

The headphones are only stereo, two channel analog so they will only be able to use the analogue stereo output of your receiver regardless of whether the original material is DTS, AC3, multiple channels or analogue stereo, etc... So I am not sure what you mean exactly? You connect it to the two channel stereo out RCA jacks on the back and then set program mode for stereo. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hallo, I think there is a little confusion. DTS HEADPHONE:X is a surround system for headphones and it allows you to listen to up to 11.2 surround dts:x sound through regular stereo headphones. the yamaha cx-a5100 has dts:x, but the headphone output is jack and the stax headphonepreamplifier has cinch connections. how can I connect this? maybe an other output ?
kind regards,
frans *****

I see so kind of a virtual surround with two speakers or headphones. I will have to opt out and let another expert help you with that. Sorry.

From what I understand ll you need for Headphone:X tracks on Blu-ray discs is a standard pair of headphones connected to either the Blu-ray player (some have headphone outs) or your AV Receiver. It's pre-mixed, and requires no decoding. The Stax headphones I have looked at have XLR inputs or normal RCA inputs which the Yamaha has. See picture.

What model Stax is it?

I think Headphone X and DTS x are two different things: http://listen.dts.com/pages/headphone-x

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the stax is a stax srm-t1 headphone preamplifier with cinch connections

You mean amplifier right not pre-amplifier? I only see RCA connectors on the pictures I found?

Can you send me a picture of the back of your amplifier?

Cinch connectors look like this:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hallo,
rca connectors are the same as cinch connectors. it is a headphonepreamplifier: srm-t1.
how do you think i have to connect it to the yamaha cx-a5100 surround preamplifier ?

I have never heard RCA connectors called cinch connectors I guess you are not in the USA, sorry... I would use the Zone 2 or Zone three RCA connectors on the back or you can use the surround front and put it in Stereo mode see picture.

To be clear your Yamaha is a Pre-amplifier but your STAX an Amplifier that's what was confusing me too... let me know how that works

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hallo, the stax is a headphone preamplifier ( which i need to feed my stax electrostatic headphone)
kind regards, ***** *****

A pre-amplifier means it needs an amplifier, they call it a "headphone driver" but it is an amplifier for your headphones... the input on the back are to connect it to your Yamaha "pre-amplifier" anyway I am not trying to argue with you about terminology you were right about cinch connectors we just don't use that term here. See here: "Changing Tubes in a STAX Tube Headphone Amplifier" The following description is specific to the STAX 006t II vacuum tube output driver unit but much of the procedure is similar for any of the STAX tube units (SRM-T1, SRM-T1S, SRM-T1W, SRM-006t and SRM-006tA/II)

Any of those pre-amp outputs will work for your Stax driver unit. Whatever you want to call it, let me know. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

BTW I contacted a suppler of the Yamaha pre-amp processor and this was his reply: "Regarding the Yamaha CX-A5100<http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022CXA5100/item.html>, we don’t list that it supports DTS Headphone:X."

As I thought it is a way of processing a track there are no pre-amps that will convert current DTS surround to HeadphoneX format from what I can see as of yet but see here: "If you own a copy of 'Ex Machina', 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' or the latest 'Terminator 2' Blu-ray release, you already have access to DTS Headphone:X tracks. For the rest of you, DTS and Lionsgate have provided two DTS Headphone:X clips on the 'Ex Machina' website (click HERE

I fancy myself an audiophile and unfortunately I lost most of my equipment in a fire a few years ago but I used to have a great pair of Sennheisers but nothing like the STAX I heard pair a few times in the past you are lucky. Let me know