Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have just bought a A-9010 Integrated Amplifie online. Today

I have just bought a A-9010 Integrated Amplifie online. Today I have connected this up to a Pro-Ject Essential II turntable (also bought recently) and two old (1976) Leak Sandwich speakers. The sound produced is terrible! I have checked that the turntable wires are in the correct amplifier sockets. I have also checked that the speaker wires are in the correct sockets for the left and right hand speakers. The + and - wires were connected as they had been on my old amplifier. To check, I reversed these but still got poor sound.
I had assumed that the components mentioned above were compatible. There are no other connections, just the simple ones described above.
Can you help? Thank you.
Gerals Garside, Bradford, England.
Category: Home Cinema System
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Do you have the turntable connected specifically to the Input labeled "Phono/MM" on the back of the Onkyo please? Additionally, if you try a different "Source" (CD player, MP3, EVEN a Cable Box RCA audio out) to the Onkyo's "CD" Input, is the sound still poor/bad quality?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the turntable is connected to the Phono/MM sockets.I do not have any other "source" that I can plug in to any of the other four lines.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let me explain- The issue isn't setting/adjustment-related, it is either due to: A) An improper connection or B) A faulty component. So we need to dig deeper in order to conclude what is the root cause. First, can you try to describe the poor/bad sound (distorted, too low in output, too high in output, static, etc.)? Also, as a TEST if you move the turntable to the CD Input jacks, and select CD please describe the sound in that scenario. This will help me to narrow down the possible causes.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If the sound is "Clean" in the CD Input, then it means the turntable has a built in phono stage and therefore should be connected to CD or one of the other "LINE" Inputs (not Phono/MM). There are several versions of the turntable you mentioned, and some do have a built in phono preamp. Let me know what you find in CD slots with CD selected please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To my ears the sound when connected via "phono" is distorted. I have connected the jacks from the turntable to the CD input (line 1) and switched to line 1 on the amplifier. There is no output whatsoever, nor when I switch the line to 2, 3, 4 or 5. I have followed the manufacturer's instructions when connecting up the turntable to the amplifier. They specifically say connect to "phono".
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Which manufacturer's directions- Onkyo or Project please? I'm simply trying to cover all of the bases here.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
It's also very possible those old Leak speakers have foam rot on the woofer surrounds, since the foam starts to deteriorate after about 15 years. That is why I would like to try another source on the Onkyo. Right now, as it stands, there is no way to isolate the root cause since you have three variables. Some other source would be needed do you can find out if the distorted sound is caused by: A) The turntable.B) The Onkyo.C) The speakers.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Also, not sure if you're aware of this, but those Leak Sandwich speakers were designed to be used with Tube Amplifiers of old, and as such were designed with an impedance of 15 ohms- which will not make use of very much power from the Onkyo receiver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both manufacturers say "use phono". Specifically, Pro-Ject say "CD, Tuner, Tape or Video are not suitable.The Leak speakers sounded fine recently when I used them with an old amplifier, a Wharfedale Multiplex 100.1 from 1976!I have a pair of small Wharfedale speakers with a 6 ohm impedance which I could attach, except that one of them has a broken connection and I don't have an electric welder handy.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, can you try connecting a SINGLE of the 6 ohm Leak speakers (we don't need stereo sound for this test) and see if the issue is the same?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'll connect up the single speaker (it is also from 1976). Give me a while because it requires the connector changing. I'll get back to you with the result.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No problem, that sounds good. I will need to step away for about an hour while I travel, but will open my laptop back up when I arrive in order to check for your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aric. 6 ohm Wharfedale speaker connected up. Exactly the same problem. The high frequencies are very noticeably distorted. Looks as thought the speakers can be eliminated. That leaves it down to the turntable or the amplifier. Looks as though further practical diagnosis could be difficult.Gerald Garside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aric. It's 23.15 GMT here and I need to go to bed in about half an hour. I've been attempting to set up the hi-fi system nearly all day and am mentally exhausted. Thanks for your help so far. I will pick up your reply tomorrow morning if it arrives here after 23.45.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. The next step would be to find another source besides the turntable to connect to the Onkyo. There's no way to narrow down between the two without doing that. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finding another source is going to be difficult in the short term but I understand what you mean. I'll have to pursue that option independently I think as it could take several days. Perhaps that's as far as we can go with this conversation.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I understand, since we've tried the turntable with both the Phono MM and Line Inputs without good results, that's about as far as we can go without one more source to narrow down the root cause (cable box, tape deck, CD, DVD. etc.). Essentially all we're doing now is finding out which of these two components is defective and requires an exchange/return. Sorry there's not a quick fix for this. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.