p0llinate
p0llinate, Custom Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Apple Earpods splitter to use microphone on PC I have

Apple Earpods splitter to use microphone on PCI have purchased the following product https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0058DOWH6 with the intention of using my Apple Earpods as both headphones and a microphone. Unfortunately, the headphones work but the microphone doesn't. To clear any doubt with obvious problems, the socket on the PC works with another microphone, and the Earpods microphone works when connected to the phone. All audio drivers are up to date.Many people online are reporting the same problems. Some are saying something along the lines of Apple reversing the polarity/configuration of the microphone cable, but I cannot find anything concrete to confirm this.Would there be a workaround involving a little soldering?Thanks
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This can work, but you have the wrong adapter, this is the one you want: http://amzn.to/1UCc8Ty

Best regards,

Nathan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that product is near identical to the one I purchased. Furthermore, I am in the UK, not the US, so I wouldn't be able to purchase that one.
From the link you have sent me, if you search the questions and answers for 'Apple', you get the following:Question:
does it work for apple earphone on some window system notebooks?
Answer:
Doesn't work on mine. I get audio, but the mic does not work.
By Elbert S. Butt on February 16, 2016
See all 2 answers
Question:
Are these compatible with android 4 pin in line mic/headphones?
Answer:
I tried with apple ear buds and with beats headphones and neither worked on my pc. I eventually bought a headset with mic that had two plugs and that works.
By Matt M. Foster on February 24, 2016
See all 4 answers
Review:
Terrible, not as advertised.
Ordered three pairs of these for myself, husband, and brother... and the mics don't work (we wanted to use our Apple earbuds with our PCs). Don't recommend at all. see less
By ND on May 31, 2016---I will give you another opportunity to answer this question, but I kindly ask that you actually take time providing the answer.
If you are unable to do this, then you will be rated one star, and receive a negative review.
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.

I did look at the item you purchased, and at the one I recommended; I actually have the same one that I have purchased personally, and it works just fine.

That doesn't mean there hasn't been a hardware revision to the design of the adapter, or to the headphones over time as well though.

What it really boils down to is that the apple headphones simply weren't designed for use with anything other than an iphone/ipad. I certainly understand what you are trying to do, but there is likely a better way around this. The general consensus is that the apple earbuds are not the most comfortable or best sound quality anyway, so while you could make it work, the question is whether it is worth it or not. You can get an inexpensive headset that is purpose made for what you want to do, that would have better sound quality, both for the headphones and for the mic. I can recommend some options for that, if you'd like.

Otherwise, what you'd want to do, since there does not seem to be a specific product on the market (at least not any longer) that is compatible, is to make your own.

To do that you'd buy a female minijack connector, or extension cable, what you already purchased would be fine for that even,

keep the headphone side as-is, cut the connector to the mic side, reverse the wires and solder back together, and test. I can't guarantee this will work, because apple products tend to be proprietary and they may have a shared ground or other conductor that is integrated into the headphone side, but this would at least be a starting point.