Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Quick question. I have a onkyo 3030 AV receiver. I just

quick question. I have a onkyo 3030 AV receiver. I just played a dolby atmos blu ray through the amp but the amp did not display dolby atmos - I chose dolby atmos from the blu ray menu but it was still showing dolby surround on the amp. I am still using only a 5.1 set up on the amp but thought atleast the amp would show that it was decoding in dolby atmos. Any ideas ?

Hello, The reason you aren't getting Atmos decoding is because the initial setup of the receiver only registered 5.1 speakers. Atmos has the rear height speakers.

So the receiver knows, that during setup only a 5.1 channel setup was performed, and therefore cannot decode a true Atmos surround effect- since it doesn't even have the speakers connected that Atmos requires. This is normal and would only change when/if you installed rear height speakers and ran the initial setup again.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I should be getting my atmos height speakers this week so will set it up and try it.

You're welcome, and once you run the setup again the receiver will allow Atmos decoding. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great - once I try out the set up with the additional speakers and it all works then will rate your answer and also release payment. Thanks once again.

Okay sounds good.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.