Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have a sharp audio system which is 6yrs old,it has suddenly

have a sharp audio system which is 6yrs old,it has suddenly closed down and the timer indicater flashing.cannot use cd,radio,ect.does anyone now what can be wrong.
Category: Home Cinema System
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I am reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Can you please get me the model number of the Sharp system?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sharp audio system RRMCGA101AWSA
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

That's the model of the remote. How about on the unit itself?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model no cd_mpx860h
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the unit shutting down with the timer indicator flashing generally points to a hardware failure in the machine itself- which usually requires service.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the unit itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the unit as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If the unit still will not power up, then it needs the output transistors replaced inside the unit. These directly drive the loudspeaker outputs on the receiver itself, and one or more of them being shorted (closed circuit), will trigger the error on the display of the receiver, and it will not go off until the problem is repaired.
They are not user-replaceable as they are PCB mounted, and thermally coupled to a heatsink. In this case, the unit is in need of service. Average cost for this type of repair is in the $200 range for this receiver, and MAY be more cost effective to replace it- versus repairing it.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?