Andrew
Andrew, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech and experience on Honda for 12 years.
64561840

hi Ive got a x reg Honda civic 1.4sport with a srs light problem

Customer Question

hi I've got a x reg Honda civic 1.4sport with a srs light problem (been on for at least 6 years)now a mot failure,had a nightmare finding a garage with the right diagnostics for it but managed to get 2 error codes regarding the srs system 10.1 - 05-01 and 06-04,i believe this could be the charging system not working properly,as this would make sense because the srs light came on after the battery went flat and the car wouldn't start all those years ago,i am desperately trying to avoid going to the Honda garage as they ripped me off years ago and charged me over £400 to repair a poorly working fan/heater which incidently still doesn't work properly,could my problems be due to a bad charging system?help what can I do?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.

OnlineMasterTech :

Hello I will be glad to help you with your Honda questions today!

OnlineMasterTech :

Have you attempted to clear the codes to see if they will come right back on? The 5-1 and 6-4 codes are very likely due to low battery voltage.........if the codes reset after clearing it would be due to a faulty SRS unit.

Customer :

hi,if it is a low battery voltage,which I suspect,what could be causing it and how can I remedy it?

OnlineMasterTech :

If the battery has a weak charge which I suspect I would replace the battery first and then have the charging system checked as the alternator may not properly be charging the system.

OnlineMasterTech :

If the alternator is what is causing the battery to go dead then you would need to replace the battery and alternator to correct the problem.

OnlineMasterTech :

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be glad to help. Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!