Andrew
Andrew, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech and experience on Honda for 12 years.
64561840

2008 2.2 diesel CRV. Crankshaft pulley failed at 80k miles

Customer Question

2008 2.2 diesel CRV. Crankshaft pulley failed at 80k miles - May 2013. Shortly afterwards alternator pulley also failed (last week July).
Now seems to be engine missing/roughness at circa 1,200-1,500 revs. Its subtle, but there.
Also occasional whining sound, when turning at parking speed.

Are all these related? whats is the cause? Should I take further action before further problems arise?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.

OnlineMasterTech :

Hello I will be glad to help you with your Honda questions today!

OnlineMasterTech :

Do you have any Check Engine Lights on? Does the whining noise only seem to occur while turning the wheel?

JACUSTOMER-1wvqeadr- : No lights. Only while turning the wheel.
OnlineMasterTech :

Ok the good news is there is no lights on which means that there isn't an actual misfire in the engine.

OnlineMasterTech :

I would start by having the engine mounts checked for the roughness you are describing. If one of the mounts are slightly weak and staring to collapse it can cause the roughness that you are feeling.

OnlineMasterTech :

The whining noise that you are hearing could be caused by the power steering pump (if you don't have electric steering) or a possible drive belt tensioner. If the bearing is going bad in the tensioner it can cause a slight whine when the steering wheel is turned due to the extra strain on the drive belt.

OnlineMasterTech :

If the power steering system is low on fluid or the pump is failing it can cause a whine when turning also.

OnlineMasterTech :

I would have your CR-V checked to see if any of these are causing your problems to prevent any future problems.

OnlineMasterTech :

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be glad to help. Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!