Mike
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

jezz 1.4 cvt petrol. from cold car drives ok when hot after

Customer Question

jezz 1.4 cvt petrol.
from cold car drives ok when hot after having done some miles on stopping at o junction
the engine will start to idle erratically then stall.
re start in park and engine idle fluctuates the idles normally.
engine warning never comes on and the cvt transmission seams to be fine.
this problem can be a bit scary in heavy traffic.
also drivers window when closing will go half way then drop even though is being
held in the up position please cn you help.
regards arthur
Category: Honda
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this..

Can I just ask -

What is the mileage on the car ?

What is its service / recent repair history ? When did it last have a service , time/ mileage wise?

Has anything at all been done / checked re the window issue?

Rgds, MIKE.......................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello mike.

the jazz has done 24,000 miles and last serviced at 18,773 miles on the 22/2/2010 and before that at 9,273 on the 11/9/2008.

regards arthur.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Arthur -

Thank you for your reply -and info.

Ok , as regards the engine fault you have - these is a common issue with these that will cause this.

I asked about the servicing for a reason - check the oil level first - make sure the engine is cold - having stood at least an hour, then check it. If the level is incorrect, deal with that.. This issue causes problems in the timing chain area causing what you describe.
Its also very important that the engine has the correct grade of oil in it- - you may need to check that with whoever did the servicing for you , its not uncommon for non dealers to use the wrong oil - and you will get this issue.

The other thing that can cause this is a faulty crankcase / engine system breather. They deteriorate with age as well as mileage. If the issue is not the oil as above - have the crankcase breather replaced and that should cure this for you - again, a known issue with Honda on these.

As regards the window issue Arthur - this is usually that the runners or the mechanism in the door are sticking - that will cause this. The window has a anti trap mechanism - for children's heads etc (!)... if it comes up and starts to stick, it will come back down again... BUT - try this first...

Switch the engine on.. then open your window - holding the button down ( not quick release... hold the button - all the way down... and when the window gets to the bottom - keep the button held - for 15 secs. Then do the same closing the window - when it reaches the top - dont let go of the button for the 15 secs.... then let go. Switch all off - and then retry it as norm. If all is ok - it just needed a re set. If not -you will have to have the door panel off to check the mechanism as above. It could also be a faulty anti trap switch but again, that will need the door panel stripping off to gain access to cure that ...

Im very glad to have helped..let me know if there is anything else - you are welcome to ask me -

Please do click on the "OK / Excellent ratings" for me now please now at this point as thats how Im credited for my time etc helping you .. Thank you in advance for that .

Kind Rgds , MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dear sir.

oil level was found to be about 5cm above full levl mark

changed oil and filter

filling to just below the full mark with 5w- 40 fully synthetic.

the problem on road test seams worse at low at 5 to 10 miles an hour

the engine is surging and when taken out of drive the idle is very

rough this condition stays until engine speed is increased by a

couple of good stabs on accelerator if i leave the engine to idle

roughly it will eventually stop, have have breather from honda

no your recommendation can you throw any more light this problen

regards arthur.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Arthur -

Thank you for your reply and further info -

Can you give me the cars full reg number...

Plus -have you noticed rasied oil levels before at all?

Rgds, MIKE.......................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reg is BUY50G as regards i think the owner friend of mine who is in 80 has never checkt it car was purchased from a used car dealer 12

months ago and was serviced prior to delivery problem only started

recently regards arthur

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Arthur -

Thank you for your reply.

Given the situation as you outline then and as it stands now - this issue is going to need further actual diagnostic checking - investigation.

I suspect that the injectors - fuel injector system is at fault - especially as you had the raised oil level issue - Its not unusual to have this fault on a car that is little used too - In any event - it will need connecting and testing as above now to find and cure this fault.... Any other way forward would be guesswork and costly -so thats the best advice now on this one Arthur...

I hope that helps you further -

Kind Rgds- MIKE.
....
............ Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings for now - Thank You in advance for that..

Nb - you can always get back to me again anytime you might need - Clicking the OK ratings does not close you out - Thank you again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if it was injectors why is the management light not illuminated?

regards arthur.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Arthur -

Thank you for your reply.

The ecu will only put the engine management fault light on when a part of the system - a sensor /s , actuator, and injectors etc go out of spec by a certain margin - in other words, they all work within a range of specs - and when they go out side of that, the ecu should put the light on. Note I say "should"... it doesn't always - even when outside as its not a perfect science even these days. But too in the case of the injectors, if they are leaking excess fuel in to the engine perhaps when stopped even, it can be enough overtime to raise the oil level even but the ecu wont always see this by any means... So two reasons there ...

I wasn't saying that its definitely the injectors though neither, I said " I suspect" -
As the fault hasn't been cured with what you have done so far- then that is what I suspect - but - having the plug in tests done as I have said, will pick up that - or whatever the fault is - even without the light on. Again - even without the light on there can be fault codes- but fault codes testing is only a base -line ... much more in depth diagnostics such as starting with Live data / scope testing will find such a running fault as you have - which is why I have suggested that now as the way ahead for you Arthur to get this sorted for you.
We can only do so much from here - that is the best advice now given your situation..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

....
............ Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings for now -as that is how I am credited for my time etc in helping / advising you ... Thank You in advance for that..