Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

2007 crv the battery keeps goinng flat in 2 nights down to

Customer Question

2007 crv the battery keeps goinng flat in 2 nights down to 4.5 volts. Happening all the time not just a one off. Also the indicator for duel control on the heating is flashing all the time.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Thank you for using justanswer for your automotive problems ,

My name is Greg and i will be assisting you with this concern .

If the battery is always discharging within a few days then you have a parasitic drain
in the system .

Do you have a test light and a voltmeter to do some testing .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg yes I have a test meter but I have no wiring diagram any idea what fuses are for which circuit. I also thought the flashing indicator on the duel heating control might indicate a problem But the battery problem started before that began.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

The flashing light is an indication that the management system has encountered a malfunction with in the A/C system , you will need a code reader or dealer scan tool to check for malfunction codes , is the check engine light also "ON" when the engine is running .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg

no the check engine light is not on when the engine is running

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

Okay i take it you don't have a HDS scan tool , so we will do a self diagnostic test ,this is what i need you to do.

With the ignition switch in the OFF position ,then switch to ON do nor attempt to start .
press and hold the OFF button (A/C) then press thye rear window defogger button five times within 10 seconds.
release the off and rear window defogger button then the self diagnostics begins ,

On the control display you will see 88 auto start to flash then you will see A Auto Or B auto C auto see what your display reads and let me know .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi did the test the screen display said 88 auto start Then went to high with slow fan running then went lo and high fan The circulate light came on then The demist indicator came on then it switched off. But my dual control indicator has stopped flashing and lights up when I switch it on.

So perhaps that fault is noww cured,thank you. Now I hpe we can find a reason for the battery drain

Rgds Geoff

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Geoff.

You may find it easier if you have a test light ,disconnect the positive side of the battery ,(Make sure you have the code for the radio )connect in line the test light ,
Make sure the key is out of the ignition and all power systems switch off and all doors
closed.
The test light should be slightly on very dim and may pulsate this is normal .

If the light is on bright then you have a drain, so now you will have to disconnect one fuse at a time under the drivers side dash fuse box, when you have the fuse pulled out and the test light goes out, then this is the bad circuit ,check on the lid which fuse this is
and let me know ,

Get back to me which fuse is the one and if none are the problem then check the fuse and relay b ox under the bonnet.

Rgds Grge
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg sorry about the delay I checked the amperage from the battery with everything switched off. At the time of testing there was a discharge of 2.3 amps. Removing fuse 16 from under bonnet fuse box stopped this discharge. There isno information on fuse box cover and the hand book just says Back up. When I switched the ignition on there was no audio or navigation on but their may be other things on the same fuse. I hve not been able to find the under dash fuse box. I hope you can give further information

Rgds Geoff

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Geoff .

After removing this fuse the Navigation audio system is not working ,this is the problem these system are known to cause drains .
Here is what i need you to do is replace the fuse and disconnect the Radio and see if the
amps drop then the nav system .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi how do I disconect the radio?

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Geoff ..

You will have to remove the system and pull the plug at the back.

But first pull #23 fuse and let me know what happens , are you sure its #16 you pulled and nor #17 fuse . as this is the back up + for the navigation unit and also the stereo amplifier.

But from experiance the Navigation system is the problem .

Has any work been done on the car any extra system added.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi it was definitly #16 a 10 amp fuse andI have had no extras added.

It may be a while before I can diconect or try anything.

Rgds Geoff