mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have had a 1.4l Honda Jazz from new, now 8 years old and

I have had a 1.4l Honda Jazz from new, now 8 years old and 70K miles. It has an automatic gearbox, but recently it has started slipping when in reverse, i.e not delivering power to the wheels, but this only happens in reverse, not the forward gears, which work well. The oil is clean, uncontaminated, but our engineer (trained by Merc) is reluctant to go in search of an answer to a problem with which he is unfamiliar.

Can you offer any assistance
Category: Honda
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

From what you are describing this is a failure of the reverse drum piston that is damaged and loosing pressure and resulting in the issue that you are having.I am also a warranty inspector and have inspected this issue on these gear boxes many times.The gearbox has to be removed and the drum and band has to be replaced.
Let me know if you need further assistance,thank you.