Mike
Mike, Honda Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Honda accord diesel 08 plate starts normally then wont start

Customer Question

Honda accord diesel 08 plate starts normally then wont start when up to temperature
Category: Honda
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you ...

Can you first please tell me - what mileage is on the car?

What is its general service / recent repair history?

Do you get any odd fault lights on at all ?

Have you had any fault tests / plug in tests done ? - If so, what were the results of that.?

Lastly - please give me the vehicles' Full reg number..

Kind Rgds, MIKE...................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

120 000 miles .recent new clutch. emission light comes on occasionally.

the reg is S2GBX. Honda has done diagnostics and recommended new glow plug relay which I have done. The car runs perfectly except for the hot start problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Simeon -

My apologies that I could only just get back to you now -

The hot start problem you have - changing the glow plug relay I very much imagine wont have had any effect on that ...quite whythey suggested that I don't know...

Anyway - by far, the usual cause of your symptoms on this model would be a faulty or failing ECT sensor - that is the Engine coolant temp sensor... This sensor tells the engine computer the continual temp of the engine - when it goes faulty, as they do, it sends incorrect info to the Ecu - which then causes such troubles as you have.

Again, this is a very common issue for the hot start problem - the sensor itself is not expensive to buy and easy to fit ( on the front of the engine head - mid way along )

I will just mention that there are several known faults and suggestions for software updates - which are done by the Honda dealers , for starting and odd running faults on this model.

If changing the ECT sensor does not fully cure this problem then you will need to have a proper plug in fault code test done to check for again, several known fault codes, that may suggest at that time that you need the software updates doing..

But the cheapest way forward and coupled with your symptoms for now, would be to change the Ect sensor and see how you go from there.. Again - If you do still have trouble - then have it checked as above to get to the bottom of this. Let me know how you get on.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.